Scuba Fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need a printer!

Reactions: Ana
Folks...

Just me...but when these types of failures occur...it's time for a replacement...

Nothing wrong with the kits shown...a successful/long-lasting repair is not dependant on the kit...but the condition of the surrounding material the kit is being attached to...

Lots of inexpensive sales/closeouts on ''new'' BCD's...

A spare is only a spare if it's trustworthy...

Again...just me...

Warren
No. I’ve seen literally hundreds of these failures, often within 2 years of being new. I personally have bladders and wings that are 20 years old. The attachments that are welded In do not stand up to the heat of being welded in, and fail with no damage to the bladder. I can’t even say how many wings or BCs I’ve seen thrown away due to this failure, especially when 15 years ago they were all gasketed in and none were welded. This is a good thing.

Folks...

Just me...but when these types of failures occur...it's time for a replacement...

Nothing wrong with the kits shown...a successful/long-lasting repair is not dependant on the kit...but the condition of the surrounding material the kit is being attached to...

Lots of inexpensive sales/closeouts on ''new'' BCD's...

A spare is only a spare if it's trustworthy...

Again...just me...

Warren

I've seen pretty new BCDs with expired warranty with broken flanges.
Completely agree that some times the break is so extensive that cannot be fixed. Not only with BCDs but with all types of gear for all types of industries.
It also depends where you live. In US or in Europe, dive gear, though expensive, is still accesible, but in Argentina at least, where a BCD could cost 4 x the prize in US, replacing a usable BCD for a new one just for a broken flange is unthinkable.
Necessity is the mother of all inventions.
Of course you can do whatever you think is right and all my respect (if you are going to throw away one BCD, please tell me where you will leave it ....)

Completely agree that some times the break is so extensive that cannot be fixed. Not only with BCDs but with all types of gear for all types of industries.
It also depends where you live. In US or in Europe, dive gear, though expensive, is still accesible, but in Argentina at least, where a BCD could cost 4 x the prize in US, replacing a usable BCD for a new one just for a broken flange is unthinkable.
Of course you can do whatever you think is right and all my respect (if you are going to throw away one BCD, please tell me where you will leave it ....)

There's more than availability and/or cost. The disposable philosophy has to stop, replacing a perfectly good BC for a silly flange should be the exception not the norm.

We should all aim to know our gear well enough not only to service it when needed, but to figure ways to fix it so it can last for decades not years (or less in the case of these issues)

@emoreira I'm green of envy, makes me want to consider the 3D printer. I've been hoping to see them at stores and just pay per print instead of owning the printer, of course is not the same than having it at home. oh well.

EM...

I had a post retirement shop tech position...

Have seen a ''few'' flange failures come into the shop...over a seven year period...

Never had the problem myself...based on my owned/preferred manufacturers...OMS...DGX...Zeagle (Drager)...and ScubaPro...

I believe getting the flanges ''caught'' and over-pulling to free the snag is a main cause factor...some divers also have the habit of overhead pulling the inflator hose to exhaust the BCD...placing undue stress on the top flange...with the top inflator hose elbow pointing down all the flange stress is on one side when the inflator hose is pulled up...

Common causes...create common problems...some of which go right back general care/use of ones gear...and information not provided during training...both of which are completely avoidable...

Best...

Warren

There's more than availability and/or cost. The disposable philosophy has to stop, replacing a perfectly good BC for a silly flange should be the exception not the norm.

We should all aim to know our gear well enough not only to service it when needed, but to figure ways to fix it so it can last for decades not years (or less in the case of these issues)

@emoreira I'm green of envy, makes me want to consider the 3D printer. I've been hoping to see them at stores and just pay per print instead of owning the printer, of course is not the same than having it at home. oh well.
I share with you the same feeling. A piece of gear with something broken that is fixable. Do not throw it away ! It's such a crime. We must reduce the amount of trash that we produce.
There is such a huge publicity with "RRR" - Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.
I would add "RRRR" - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle & Repair

Reactions: Ana
Quite.

To paraphrase our DIR brethren, Please do not give non DIY answers to DIY questions.

COUV...

As I said above...nothing wrong with the mentioned DIY repair kits...if the surrounding bladder material will accept the kit...and is in a serviceable condition to make the kit worth while...

The individual performing the repair would need to know the difference...and like most things DIY...this type of repair should not be attempted by everyone...as the area of the fix needs to be properly prepared for the part...and whatever adhesive if any is being used...

Remember most flanges are factory installed using a ''hot seal'' process...and the heat being used sometimes has a way of changing the properties of the material it is being applied to...making a lot of ''fix-it'' adhesives ineffective...''the glue won't stick''...

Best...

Warren...

...as the area of the fix needs to be properly prepared for the part...and whatever adhesive if any is being used...
Again, this is not your forte. @emoreira has come up with an ingenious alternative to what the OP has proposed. Em has manufactured a compression fitting that requires no adhesive. That is the beauty of it. Of course if the surrounding material is deteriorated and not serviceable no repair will work. However, most folks who hang out in the DIY forum are fully capable of making that decision. As you continue to suggest "replace the entire regulator-BCD-wing, etc" the DIY section of SB is probably not a good fit for you. Perhaps something in sales.

Regards,

Couv

Again, this is not your forte. @emoreira has come up with an ingenious alternative to what the OP has proposed. Em has manufactured a compression fitting that requires no adhesive. That is the beauty of it. Of course if the surrounding material is deteriorated and not serviceable no repair will work. However, most folks who hang out in the DIY forum are fully capable of making that decision. As you continue to suggest "replace the entire regulator-BCD-wing, etc" the DIY section of SB is probably not a good fit for you. Perhaps something in sales.

Regards,

Couv

You are making me blush.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom