Very happy with my new reg... should I be???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats and enjoy your dive.

We take a chance every time we strap on a tank and deflate our bc's. Don't anticipate failure, but be mentally prepared for the possibility.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The first reg I ever owned was also the cheapest. A Sherwood Brut. Very basic, unbalanced piston, but it was all I could afford as a college student. It worked great for the diving I was doing. Did a couple of hundred dives on it. Once I got into cave diving, I needed something better performing, but the Brut still lived on as a deco bottle regulator.

At some point, you'll probably find yourself needing something more "proper", but for now, if this regulator gets you in the water and you are happy with it, then it seems to be a great regulator.

Well, scuba-choice services them (I believe Palantic is their house brand afaik), but at this price point it's probably more cost effective to replace them every couple years than to bother with servicing them.

I totally agree with this mentality.

Often regulator service is $25-$35 per stage plus parts kit. If one assumes as an example and average of $20 per parts kit one is looking at service bill of about $135.

At that price, buy that $150 reg set and use the bejeebees out of it for 2 years and then either sell it for whatever you can get for it, give it away to a friend, use it learn how it works, or just bin it. In 2 years time the $15 difference between your original purchase price and the price of service is accounted by depreciation from use...not bad, $15 over 2 years.

$150 for a brand new reg set that works is an outstanding price no matter how you cut it, it is an even more amazing price if that set included in addition to the 1st stage and primary 2nd stage, an octo 2nd stage, and SPG.

I just purchased a reg for a pony bottle, Aqualung Calypso, it came as 1st and 2nd stage only and it cost me @ 160 euros. I have just purchased a extra 2nd stage for just over 100 euros (Aqualung Core Supreme) so I can convert the reg set to a full set for one of my daughters to use....the Aqualung Calypso is one of the least expensive of the big name brand companies that I am aware of....so at $150 for your setup you have done well. Go congratulate yourself by taking it and out and blowing copious amounts of bubbles.

Happy Diving.

-Z

Can't tell if the reg is sealed? 2nd stages balanced? or quality of parts/fit, so I can't really accurately comment on it. Does it have CE certification for cold water diving (if that is a concern for you)?

Looking at the regulators, my guess is the first stage is an unbalanced piston regulator along the lines of a Scubapro MK-2 or Aqualung Calypso. The primary second is balanced and some variation on the basic Apeks design. The safe second is an unbalanced downstream design like the Scubapro R series or the Aqualung Conshelf / Titan series.

When I started diving I bought something local and cheap. It served me well for years. I started getting into wreck penetration. Sometimes I would have to go upside down, sideways, arch backwards, etc. to get through a wreck. At points I noticed I was sucking a little water. I never stayed in that weird position long. So it wasn't really an issue.

Now I dive regs which are $1000+. They breath like a dream compared to my first regs. They are more comfortable in my mouth. They never breath wet no matter what position I'm in. I have more money now than when I started diving. I can afford bells and whistles. It isn't needed but it makes my dives more enjoyable.

Did I regret buying a cheap reg set? Nope. I'd recommend it to others. Until you know what you want, it gets you in the water for very little money. Additionally, they are your own regs. You will service them and take care of them better than any rental. So it is probably safer to own a cheap set of regs than to rent.

As others have pointed out, getting them serviced might be the only concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom