First Cozumel Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Def use a smaller op like those mentioned above. For first time being on a 6 passenger boat will be much less intimidating than 10-15 etc. I use Blue XT Sea and their convenience factor far outweighs any onsite op as they are full concierge diving, I literally dont touch my stuff until they hand it back when I am done diving. 3P and Aldora, Living Underwater and several other HIGH TIER ops will give you great service, small non crowded boats and fantastic experience for first time diving.

If you are still a little nervous - hire a private DM for first day. After that I bet you will be 100% good to go. Coz diving is nice and easy! Enjoy!

Cozumel is a dive factory (in a good way) and and is set up to give all divers of all experience levels a good time. Don't worry about a thing. Even if you get on a big boat they'll break you up into smaller groups with your own dive master / tour guide. Just go with the flow and have fun.

While you are there keep your eyes open for alternative accommodations for your next visit. There's a lot to see and do in Cozumel beyond the resort walls.

How long will you be in Coz? You will definitely want to get at least one night dive in.

We stayed at Sunscape Sabor in March and watch the Dovehouse boats load and unload. They were absolute cattle boats packed to the limit with divers. Definately not for me. We dive with Aldora 2-3 times a year and usually average 80-90 minute dives with their steel 120 tanks and usually 6 divers or less per boat.

Safe travels,
Jay

How do you all only get 80-90 minutes when with AL 80's with the op I use we do 75-80 minutes easy regularly and usually end due to cold? Why lug a 120 around for 5-10 more minutes lol?

How do you all only get 80-90 minutes when with AL 80's with the op I use we do 75-80 minutes easy regularly and usually end due to cold? Why lug a 120 around for 5-10 more minutes lol?

Lug the extra lead or the bigger tank, I'll take the extra air.

How long will you be in Coz? You will definitely want to get at least one night dive in.
I agree. We did 2 night dives on our last trip, and they were both great! Saw several octopuses on both trips -- I think I could watch those for a whole dive some time.

We dove with Tres Pelicanos (3P) and had a great trip. They will book an afternoon or night dive with only 2 divers, while some other shops require 4 or more. So, on one night dive it was just the 2 of us with the DM, and on some afternoon divers it was also just a few of us -- so no problem staying near the DM if you wanted to.

Lots of good advice here for you. One thing you need to do when selecting a dive op is to think about what you want to pay each day and what type of experience you want to have. There are valet ops that take care of your gear and there are ops that do not. You will also want to ask potential dive ops about pick up at the hotel pier. There have been on-again off-again occurrences of the hotel charging dive ops to use that dock. I do not know the current status, so ask the ops you contact for more info.

I stayed at Secrets March of 2018, we really liked it, food was good.
We dove w Dive House and were fine with them, you show up w your gear in a mesh bag (bring a mesh bag) the first morning and they keep it, you don't need to haul it every day.
Disclaimer we've been to Coz many times so were not looking for extra attention etc.
Whatever dive op you choose, set it all up in advance of your arrival, then just check in when you get there, enjoy!
Post a trip report after!

Back
Top Bottom