Insta-buddy DECO Diver: What’s NDL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob--that's darn scarey. If you don't teach tables then how can they understand the whole point of the computers? To me its hand in hand. Tables then explaining what the computer does for you.

Bob--that's darn scarey. If you don't teach tables then how can they understand the whole point of the computers? To me its hand in hand. Tables then explaining what the computer does for you.

One doesn't need tables or computer to teach or understand decompression. However when time constrained and needing to explain the user operation of a computer, possibly a few, I can see skipping theory over operation.

With tables everyone is on the same page and there is an actual line one can see between NDL and deco. And to make the tables operate properly there is a lot of practice, exactly the way you will in real life.

Bob

We purchased complete kits after becoming OW certified (and continue to add more and more and more), so we have never rented gear. This leads me to a couple of questions.

Do dive ops typically provide a quick tutorial on the dive computers they rent? Considering the differences between manufacturers, models, displays and modes it would seem pragmatic.

If diving 4 to 5 dives a day over the span of a week (excluding liveaboards) does the dive op verify each diver receives the same computer each day?

LOL - yes. I had a DM spotting my Shearwater, asking me what my GFs are. When I told him that it’s on 30/70, he told me to set it to 99/99 - because he didn’t want me to go into deco. I wish it was as easy to reprogram my physiology. I went to to 45/80 which I still feel comfortable with in warm water, and it wasn’t an issue during the dive or after.

I'll never get people's fear of deco... i actually very much prefer a few minutes of light real deco followed by a very slow ascent over the typical "near-zero-NDL, then safety, then plop up instantly from 5m". I use 50/75 on my OSTC and went into deco on several dives on a recent trip.. only got big eyes from some of the other divers.. including people with a few hundred dives.
Sometimes i really wonder why there are not more accidents with this amount of clueless divers...

I'll never get people's fear of deco...
Well, some of those prefer to stay off the slippery slope. Deco is a hard black line drawn through a fuzzy grey continuum, but you have to stick with some standards.

My standard is whatever my RDP and my computer is telling me, and since I don't trust that I have the proper gear nor the necessary skills to solve any problem underwater instead of just heading for that unlimited gas supply, I choose to stay out of deco (whatever that might be, but again you have to choose some kind of hard limit despite the fuzziness of the real world)

I'll never get people's fear of deco...

May be the fear had more to do with the fact that some dive op's check computers for deco, and if deco found, its out of the water for the diver the rest of the day. Secondly, they may not believe in exceeding the limits of their training, and assume you are exceeding yours.

I don't fear deco, but have a healthy respect for it. I did most of my deco decades ago, and my rule was, and is, no deco without redundant gas. I rarely carry redundant gas so...

Sometimes i really wonder why there are not more accidents with this amount of clueless divers...

So do I, but for many other reasons other than them wanting to avoid deco.

Bob

Do dive ops typically provide a quick tutorial on the dive computers they rent? Considering the differences between manufacturers, models, displays and modes it would seem pragmatic.
For what I've seen so far here in Australia, yes.

All the cruise ships dives I have done always started with the shallower dive first.

I have been on a lot of cruise ship dives (100+ in the past 9 years), and very few of them had the second dive deeper than the first. Exceptions being times when the dive op was obviously scoping out their dive clients and buddy pairs on the first dive, and then possibly adjusting the dive profile for selected divers, or swapping dive buddies for the second dive. For example, on a two tank dive in Fr. Polynesia, the entire group (a mix of OW and AOW divers) dove to @60' on the first dive. On the second dive, some of us experienced OW divers were moved to the AOW group, and dove to @100' after a very long SI, and some of the AOW who I saw having issues on the first dive were moved to the OW group for a shallow second dive.

I'll never get people's fear of deco... i actually very much prefer a few minutes of light real deco followed by a very slow ascent over the typical "near-zero-NDL, then safety, then plop up instantly from 5m". I use 50/75 on my OSTC and went into deco on several dives on a recent trip.. only got big eyes from some of the other divers.. including people with a few hundred dives.

A computer such as the Shearwater, displays "time to surface," so the 'light deco' you refer to is more predictable. I have not seen a rec computer display TTS so deco is unpredictable unless planned with redundant gas.

I signed up myself and three buddies for an AOW class. I got all the information of what each of us needed for rental gear. Two folks needed computers. On our last dive of our class, the instructor brings up about needing to pay attention to the computer. One in our group says, "I don't have one." What the hell did he do for the other dives, because I KNOW he didn't have dive tables with him? I was actually a little pissed that the instructor passed him for the class, because of the question, and he is a crappy diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom