When does a new diver become ‘advanced’!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say that being a more seasoned diver necessarily makes one an "advanced" diver, but sadly it tends to be the more seasoned divers who become complacent and start to gloss over or omit entirely some of the things they were taught. The line between complacency and knowing what you don't REALLY need to do for a particular dive can be difficult to perceive, especially for those of us who are not especially seasoned, so it makes sense to err on the side of caution and do more rather than less.

we didn't always do full buddy checks with the instructor on my last AOW dives but I already had couple of dozen dives before that and nowadays the only thing I tend to still sometimes forget is to connect the freaking drysuit inflator hose to the suit valve. It took a long time to get used to that.

I think it is a good habit to always check that your tank valve is fully open before kitting up. I personally like to transport the package assembled and already breath tested and pressurised at home but the tank valve closed so that a free flow during transport does not empty the tank completely. When on the diving site I first open the valve and then put the suit etc on. Then double checking that the tank valve is on before kitting up and connecting the drysuit hose and double checking regs (another breath test) and wing and suit inflators and then jumping to the water. It is always easier to resolve the problems on dry land but as long as you get breathing air and can somewhat manage your buoyancy the problems are probably not super dangerous, just increase task loading and overall annoyance levels :) just remember to at least check the tank valve is open and that the tank is full and the inflator works before going to water and the more challenging the dive the more careful you need to be to double check everything.

one of the reasons I like to test all the kit on dry land is because almost always diving with full drysuit with heavy undergarments and thick hood etc. and it gets pretty uncomfortable to wait fully suited on dry land especially if it's warm weather. and the hood and dry gloves reduce mobility a lot so it is super annoying to start to resolve minor gear problems on surface. bubble checks can of course be done in water if needed but otherwise doing all the testing preferably on dry land and even at home beforehand so that will know if backup regulator needs to be used or light batteries changed etc.

AND if I see someone touching my gear I will double check everything again. My biggest fear is that during a buddy check a buddy would mistake the valve knob direction and would accidentally turn the valve OFF:eek: some of my tanks have left hand valves so it is not entirely impossible to happeno_O

Notwithstanding BWRAF (which is a dumb mnemonic anyway) buddy checks can, and do save lives. I insist all my student at every level make a deliberate buddy check and I am pleased to say that this is a habit that many of my students continue to do after they have completed training (at least when I am around anyway)
I agree. According to my 14 years of diving, your former students doing detailed checks are the exception. All the OW courses I assisted on had detailed checks, over & over.
Just curious--I've only heard the BWRAF one. Do you use (another) one?

Take care of your own check, dive, or be prepared to dive, solo
Agree. You could go through your own routine twice and thus do a buddy check on yourself. That's two checks.

uncfnp, Agree that buddy checks have nothing to do with being "advanced". It just seemed the OP was enquiring about them.

Buddy checks have nothing to do with beginner or advanced. I was taught buddy checks with OW, AOW, tech courses, Cavern and Intro To Cave. It is a philosophy of diving, not a level.
Exactly!

Advanced divers are more skilled and experienced than me. Beginners are less skilled and experienced than me. As my diving has progressed my standard for advanced has progressed too.

As for buddy checks I’ll hapilly check my buddy and always do a visual buddy check even if they don’t want one. I’ve got my own checklist I go through I including triple check my aqualung “sureloss” weight pockets but I am happy to have my buddy double check as long as they don’t touch the weight pockets. I’ve had more than one buddy tug the handles to check them.

Have @Sam Miller III tell you about the 18 week advanced diver course he taught back in the 70s and early 80s. When you came out of that successfully you were truly an advanced diver and had exceeded the requirements of any certification agency before or since! M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom