How can a dive pro be in tip top shape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:

Not everyone can pull it off like me!

Not everyone can pull it off like me!

Nice hairstyle though

Hello! The getting up early is no problem but after daily diving, sometimes deep, won’t that cause agitation of the gasses specially if i do sprints or HIIT?

I think that’s why you need to do it BEFORE you dive. Also if you do HIIT that means you need to wake up even earlier to have a meal, unless you want to look really lean.

I found this DAN article:
Juggling Physical Exercise and Diving — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article

I change my weight by about 10kg when I get lean and have another problem: it really changes the fit of my drysuit when I put heavy undergarments :(

Depends on your definition of tip top shape and dive pro. I'm a dive pro, but most of my current job is sitting behind a desk. Working out is not problem most of the time (motivation aside of course). When I was a tropical island dive guide and doing 2-5 dives/day 4-6 days per week almost all in the 50-80 foot range, no way would you catch me doing any sort of strenuous exercise. HIIT is right out the window unless you want to spend some quality time with the chamber operators. I'd swim some afternoons, but that is pretty easy on the joints and muscles. Getting up "early" is relative too. The latest I had to be at work at any of the places I worked was 7:30 am, the earliest was 4:00 am. Not getting up at 2 to work out to get to work by 4.

Go to Orange Theory five days a week.

Watched a documentary on Florida caves. George Irwin claimed he works out 2 hours each morning. I am not sure how often he dived with WKKP, if it was daily or a weekend thing.

Curious about this aspect of diving/fitness myself.

Isn't there someone in here who is a diving MD?

Curious about this aspect of diving/fitness myself.

Isn't there someone in here who is a diving MD?

Could you clarify which is "this" aspect? Is there a medical aspect that the DAN article linked to above doesn't address?

From a purely empirically approach, I observed my response to strength training after two weekends of medium tech diving i.e. a single 220 ft dive each day with a 2.5 hour runtime. 24 hours after the last dive, I did my usual strength workout and felt a bit nauseous and weak about halfway through the workout. The following day during training no symptoms showed at all. The same set of symptoms were observed after a second weekends diving in the same depth range 24 hours after the last dive.
My own conclusions were to be careful with strength training after deep dives, give yourself at least 24 hours, cut back on the volume of training for the first training session and listen to your body.

Back
Top Bottom