Backscatter wide angle lens for tg5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice and i imagine very cold lol
Thanks. Actually the water temps are downright balmy, 50 at the surface and 46 at depth. A month ago the temps were in the high 30's, it's amazing how nice 8 to 10 degrees warmer feels.

Thanks. Actually the water temps are downright balmy, 50 at the surface and 46 at depth. A month ago the temps were in the high 30's, it's amazing how nice 8 to 10 degrees warmer feels.
I remember diving in ny with our 7mm

I'm debating between the Backscatter wide-angle lens and the AOI UWL-04 lens, which offers a wider angle (160 degrees vs Backscatter's 120). I talked to Backscatter and they recommended their own lens because:

• It offers zoom-through, which the AOI does not
  • Sits closer to the housing
  • Better shade arrangement
Can anyone help me understand how important these things are? I like the idea of a wider fisheye lens like the AOI and am leaning towards that one, but am trying to figure out if the Backscatter 120 lens would be a better choice.

I have the AOI UWL-04 which I use with my tg5 and pt-058 housing. You can zoom thru with the uwl-04. The biggest difference between the backscatter lense and the uwl-04 is the vignetting that occurs with the uwl-04 when zoomed all the way out. Basically you need to be zoomed in a few clicks to prevent distortion. From what I understand this isn't an issue with the backscatter lense since it's only 120 angle.

I have the AOI UWL-04 which I use with my tg5 and pt-058 housing. You can zoom thru with the uwl-04. The biggest difference between the backscatter lense and the uwl-04 is the vignetting that occurs with the uwl-04 when zoomed all the way out. Basically you need to be zoomed in a few clicks to prevent distortion. From what I understand this isn't an issue with the backscatter lense since it's only 120 angle.

Thanks - this is very helpful. Have you been happy with the results of the AOI lens on the TG-5? Do you think it would still provide a wider field of view than the Backscatter 120 lens, even though you have to zoom in a bit?

Yes, I've been happy with it. Yes you'll get a wider fov with it too. FWIW, I originally tried to order the backscatter lense. They didn't have it in stock so I went with the UWL-04 for an upcoming dive trip. I couldn't be happier.

2 more with the wide angle air lens today
kk1.gif
kk2.gif

Back
Top Bottom