My PADI Open Water Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, your OW class was so much different from mine. I didn't have to buy any gear up front. Everything was provided. The instructor provided a link to bootleg copies of the PADI videos, no books or online study. After getting hooked up with equipment we were in the pool off and on Saturday morning for about 4 hours, then a debrief. On Sunday morning, back in the pool doing skill testing then a couple hours of classroom time and taking the test, then a question by question review of the test.

I did my OW cert referral dives on two Caribbean islands a couple months later while on a cruise. The two different instructors retested me on all the stuff I needed to know but I was well prepared. The dives were like regular dives, in warm water, on ship wrecks. Easy peasy and a great experience.
No trouble getting a PADI OW cert. card with having not bought materials? When was this (recently, I assume?).

We had to remove the section reviews out of the book. We were told PADI required the signed originals. If we wanted, we could have made copies for us to keep as reference.

PADI has cracked down on that. They want to ensure that students have paid for training materials.

There are other ways of doing that. I have seen excellent or bad PADI centres offering material. Looking at the web sites for some of these training centres - get an IT business fellow like me to cry somethings. They might be excellent in PADI scuba training and certifications but they're presenting themselves badly on the web.
PADI as an organisation, could close this down. That might be what they are trying to do. Why can't the material ONLY be available from PADI's website? The local centre, then gives login when things are paid and agreed. A win-win for all parts. PADI got better control, not only of their material but also of their training centres and partners, the local centre can offer some additional if they want to.

There are other ways of doing that. I have seen excellent or bad PADI centres offering material. Looking at the web sites for some of these training centres - get an IT business fellow like me to cry somethings. They might be excellent in PADI scuba training and certifications but they're presenting themselves badly on the web.
PADI as an organisation, could close this down. That might be what they are trying to do. Why can't the material ONLY be available from PADI's website? The local centre, then gives login when things are paid and agreed. A win-win for all parts. PADI got better control, not only of their material but also of their training centres and partners, the local centre can offer some additional if they want to.
I don’t work there and no longer teach there, so I cannot comment. But I have heard of grumbling by PADI instructors about getting PICs. I’ll leave it to more informed people to chime in if they so wish

Back
Top Bottom