Fin recommendation for travel and sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for a light small travel fin that is open heel, perform in warm water for sidemount, and can back kick well.

I was considering the Mares avanti quattro plus but the scubapro go sport looks really good. They are lighter and more packable. Anyone have any experience with them or would recommend something else?

Looking for a light small travel fin that is open heel, perform in warm water for sidemount, and can back kick well.

I was considering the Mares avanti quattro plus but the scubapro go sport looks really good. They are lighter and more packable. Anyone have any experience with them or would recommend something else?
GO sport works great for me, I have replaced my Eddy fins with them for local cold water, I have regular GO for warm water but the sport my replace those too.

I have been pleased with the DiveRite fins but have friends who happily use the Quattro. I'd go with what you are comfortable with - doubt you will go wrong.

I switched from Dive Rites to Eddys for air travel....shorter, lighter, work well. I've never seen anyone using the new ScubaPros.

GO sport works great for me, I have replaced my Eddy fins with them for local cold water, I have regular GO for warm water but the sport my replace those too.

Do the go sport fins ever feel too soft for you? Have you ever dove two or more tanks with them? I'm assuming from what you said, they perform similiar to the eddys?

Thanks!

Do the go sport fins ever feel too soft for you? Have you ever dove two or more tanks with them? I'm assuming from what you said, they perform similiar to the eddys?

Thanks!
No, I was a little surprised by the performance in cold water, with my drysuit, something that usually doesn’t happen with good warm water fins. The GS has nice flex which aids the long surface swims and bursts of speed, for frog kick they perform as well if not a touch better than the Eddy’s. I find some people seem set on stiff fins and some on heavy, these are neither but so far my buddy with bat fins can’t out run me on the bottom and can’t keep up on the surface.

No, I was a little surprised by the performance in cold water, with my drysuit, something that usually doesn’t happen with good warm water fins. The GS has nice flex which aids the long surface swims and bursts of speed, for frog kick they perform as well if not a touch better than the Eddy’s. I find some people seem set on stiff fins and some on heavy, these are neither but so far my buddy with bat fins can’t out run me on the bottom and can’t keep up on the surface.

Thanks your experience with them is very helpful. Ill be purchasing the GS. At the very least they will be my travel fin!

I just ordered a pair to try out. I've been using the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus for years so it will be interesting to compare the two. Unfortunately I won't be back in the water until late August.

I just ordered a pair to try out. I've been using the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus for years so it will be interesting to compare the two. Unfortunately I won't be back in the water until late August.

LMK what you think after you get a chance. I'll do the same. Cheers!

Interesting thread. The Hollis F2's have been my go-to travel fin (awesome at all kicks) but do lack a little power at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom