First Sea Dive Advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brilliant thanks for the help!

Going that side of the world the only thing that I am nervous about I think is they all use:
  • ft instead of metres
  • PSI instead of bar
Is the transition pretty straight forward? or do you just stick to metres and bar.
Your computer will read whichever you want. Converting feet to metres is pretty easy if you work on 3ft=1m (near enough in practise) so 18m=approx 60ft.

For pressure, I assume the use of an SPG which will either be in bar or PSI (very few have both) so just be aware of the number you want for turning a dive and minimum pressure (500psi on the boat is normal as opposed to 50 bar).

I have only ever dived in metres and BAR as I have been in UK groups abroad.

Brilliant thanks for the help!

Going that side of the world the only thing that I am nervous about I think is they all use:
  • ft instead of metres
  • PSI instead of bar
Is the transition pretty straight forward? or do you just stick to metres and bar.

I’ll start with the caveat that I suck at metric, but, as @Neilwood said, leave your computer in meters. The DMs should be able to give you meters when doing the predive briefing. As far as psi v bar, if you’re using a spg it might be easier with it in bar for 2 reasons.
1. During the briefing they will usually tell you to turn at “x” psi. Always remember the magic number. They may tell you to turn at half gas, so that’s easy in either format.
2. If you are not going with a buddy you will probably be with a DM or an instabuddy. There is a good chance that they are going to be familiar with psi, so checking each other’s air would seem to be easier if you both have the same. Again, I don’t know bar, but it seems that with group lead boat dives either way is just math.

I’ll start with the caveat that I suck at metric, but, as @Neilwood said, leave your computer in meters. The DMs should be able to give you meters when doing the predive briefing. As far as psi v bar, if you’re using a spg it might be easier with it in bar for 2 reasons.
1. During the briefing they will usually tell you to turn at “x” psi. Always remember the magic number. They may tell you to turn at half gas, so that’s easy in either format.
2. If you are not going with a buddy you will probably be with a DM or an instabuddy. There is a good chance that they are going to be familiar with psi, so checking each other’s air would seem to be easier if you both have the same. Again, I don’t know bar, but it seems that with group lead boat dives either way is just math.

Thank you very much!

Very vauble information from everyone, thanks!

Your 27m on day 2 is going to limit you on bottom time, possibly before your NDL depending on your air consumption as a new diver. I have not dove Playa but have a few dives in Coz and the reef across from Casa Cenote outside Tulum. If the Playa reefs are similar to Tulum, you will be seeing a lot of cool things and may kick yourself for not having the extra bottom time on a shallower dive. I would save the deeper dive/experience for home.

Are the dives single tank boat trips? Hate that you will only get two dives in. Have a good trip!

Rather jealous of your dive plan OP.

You may get some vertigo with the increased viz... apparently true! Remember your training and enjoy it.

I did a UK wreck dive at the weekend, 12C, 35 minutes, 28m (92')max, 20m (65') average and hit ndl zero as we began the ascent at our planned pressure. It pays to keep an eye on computer and pressure gauges! A friend got caught out recently and ended up with 20 minutes of deco and rather less in his tank than desirable by the end.

Your 27m on day 2 is going to limit you on bottom time, possibly before your NDL depending on your air consumption as a new diver. I have not dove Playa but have a few dives in Coz and the reef across from Casa Cenote outside Tulum. If the Playa reefs are similar to Tulum, you will be seeing a lot of cool things and may kick yourself for not having the extra bottom time on a shallower dive. I would save the deeper dive/experience for home.

Are the dives single tank boat trips? Hate that you will only get two dives in. Have a good trip!

I'm here for a wedding so the 2 dives is a bonus at the minute, if I can get more in, I'll book them when I arrive.

I am using these dives as experience and learning more than to explore the sea - that is just a bonus.

I know I'll be limited on bottom time, but again this will help with me progressing and winter season in the UK I'll do the nitric course.

The problem with doing deeper dives back home is the Vis, light and temperature. Which is why I want to try one in warm waters - as the 24m one on my AOW course I couldn't see my own hand :eek:

Rather jealous of your dive plan OP.

You may get some vertigo with the increased viz... apparently true! Remember your training and enjoy it.

I did a UK wreck dive at the weekend, 12C, 35 minutes, 28m (92')max, 20m (65') average and hit ndl zero as we began the ascent at our planned pressure. It pays to keep an eye on computer and pressure gauges! A friend got caught out recently and ended up with 20 minutes of deco and rather less in his tank than desirable by the end.

Thanks for the tip, I'm still at the stage that I'm nervous a tad so I'm checking more frequent than most, so I should be okay!

1) These dives may be drift dives -- or at least dives in current. You may want to familiarize yourself with any procedures needed for drift diving -- if you need to have DSMB on you, how the descents will be done, etc.

2) Have fun. One piece of advice given to me that I know share with new divers -- every now and then tilt yourself up and scan whats above you. There may be cool pelagic creatures swimming above you and you can completely miss them bc you are in proper horizontal trim.

boat dive protocol ..."never get under a diver when they are on the ladder"....

From the looks of the 27 M depth on your second dive it will be on the Mama Vina, a sunken shrimp boat. I did that dive a couple times last year. They were pretty short dives but still plenty to see. I used the same shop both times and the profiles were almost the same: 35 total minutes, 62' average depth, 88' max depth.

Everyone has given you some great advice. Keep your head on a swivel, keep looking around and you might get to see something cool off in the distance. I would not worry too much about the Metric/ Imperial thing, many of the DM's in Playa are from Europe and they are used to giving briefings in both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom