Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bungee system on the new Seahawk looks different when compared to HP’s. Do you think this is because Scubapro realized how bad the design was on HP and decided to re-design from ground up?

I really wouldn't knock it that bad. Yes the wing will slide back and forth, yes it's easily corrected while you're diving. I dive over weighted at times because I have too - the added air in the wing for an extra four pounds can be a nuisance but when I have the correct weight, there's minimal air in the wing and the bungees are less noticeable.

For me it's the feel of the shoulder straps where they connect to the waist strap - BP/W the connection is farther back and for me that's less comfortable than where the HP connects.

It's all a personal choice, dive what you like and feel comfortable in!!

For me it's the feel of the shoulder straps where they connect to the waist strap - BP/W the connection is farther back and for me that's less comfortable than where the HP connects.

While the SB crowd tends to favor a minimalist harness, there are other harnesses available.

If you ignore dogma a bp/w harness can be set up and used anyway you like.

Having recently made a few H-Harnesses for my plates, there are simple solutions with minimal hardware, scissors, and some webbing (though I tend to "over design" stuff in my final project).....

YMMV

If a new diver thought counts:

I tried and did one of my few dives with the Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD. At first, I was very keen on it. Then on second thought after my dive changed my mind.
- I will most likely use it without the hardness molds.
- I dislike all the logo's they have but on it.
- I liked the modular design or thinking behind it.
- Does not support twin tanks.

Since I am not going to use the hardness molds, I am better off with with a Scubapro X-Tek Pro Hardness with a good wing and backplate. Then you are talking about modular design and lots of adjustment possibilities. For a new diver, some would say that this is overkill. I think you are better off with a X-Tek hardness.

- Start training with kit you can grow into and expand your diving skills.
- Might not be more expensive. (Only pay for for you are using.)
- No re-training if you later want to move on from a jacket to hardness for more technical stuff.
- Hardly any logo on the X-Tek Pro Hardness.

Just my 2 cents.

If you are going with a back plate and wing, then buying any name brand harness is extra money for no reason. Or, maybe not extra money, but an inferior result.

A length of 2" webbing and a few well-chosen pieces of hardware will be less expensive and work better than any pre-packaged harness that I have seen.

In fact, I wrote this list out for someone the other day. This is what I use (except the cam bands - they don't offer the tank straps I use anymore):

2" webbing (12' or so) - $10
Flat Nylon Webbing, per {1 ft | 30 cm}

Bent D-ring (x 2 - for shoulder straps) - $2.50
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} D-Ring w/Bend

Rigid D-ring (x 2 - for waist band) - $4
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Rigid D-Ring, Perpendicular on Slide

Tri-slide (x 5 - 3 for left shoulder strap, 2 for right shoulder strap) - $3.75
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide

Bungee cord (thin - at least 3 feet, but I just buy thick and thin in bulk rolls) - $1.20
Surgical Tubing & Bungee Cord | Dive Gear Express®

Belt buckle - $10
XS Scuba Clear-Path Buckle

Cam bands (x 2) - $40
DGX Tank Strap, Standard with S/S Cam Buckle

Trim weight pouches (x 2) - $20
DGX Trim Weight Pocket {4 lb | 1.8 kg}

Crotch Strap (2" version) - $22
Dive Rite Crotch Straps

That comes out to just under $115. To me, that is just what I want and nothing I don't want, with almost every individual piece being better than what most pre-packaged harnesses have.

If you are going with a back plate and wing, then buying any name brand harness is extra money for no reason. Or, maybe not extra money, but an inferior result.

A length of 2" webbing and a few well-chosen pieces of hardware will be less expensive and work better than any pre-packaged harness that I have seen.

In fact, I wrote this list out for someone the other day. This is what I use (except the cam bands - they don't offer the tank straps I use anymore):

2" webbing (12' or so) - $10
Flat Nylon Webbing, per {1 ft | 30 cm}

Bent D-ring (x 2 - for shoulder straps) - $2.50
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} D-Ring w/Bend

Rigid D-ring (x 2 - for waist band) - $4
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Rigid D-Ring, Perpendicular on Slide

Tri-slide (x 5 - 3 for left shoulder strap, 2 for right shoulder strap) - $3.75
DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide

Bungee cord (thin - at least 3 feet, but I just buy thick and thin in bulk rolls) - $1.20
Surgical Tubing & Bungee Cord | Dive Gear Express®

Belt buckle - $10
XS Scuba Clear-Path Buckle

Cam bands (x 2) - $40
DGX Tank Strap, Standard with S/S Cam Buckle

Trim weight pouches (x 2) - $20
DGX Trim Weight Pocket {4 lb | 1.8 kg}

Crotch Strap (2" version) - $22
Dive Rite Crotch Straps

That comes out to just under $115. To me, that is just what I want and nothing I don't want, with almost every individual piece being better than what most pre-packaged harnesses have.

Build your own - is what you are saying!

The only thing - as a fair new diver, it is comforting to have a brand name. If something is not working or goes wrong you got somewhere you can complain. Someone other than you is then responsible to fix it. The question is how much am I prepared to pay for that?

The rewards in building my own hardness feels good. Will probably make a few mistakes underway, but learn a lot of my own diving in the process. My first hardness will be made by someone, my second hardness could be homemade. Thank you.

The price of Stuart's harness is misleading. Packaged harnesses do not include cam straps or weight pockets. So his price is $55. Being you are in the UK, I would recommend the Apeks deluxe one-piece harness, I have one and like it a lot. It is very heavy duty.

Before purchasing the XTek I would talk with other divers in your area and see what they are using. You may prefer something like a Dive Rite Transplate Harness.

If a new diver thought counts:

I tried and did one of my few dives with the Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD. At first, I was very keen on it. Then on second thought after my dive changed my mind.
- I will most likely use it without the hardness molds.
- I dislike all the logo's they have but on it.
- I liked the modular design or thinking behind it.
- Does not support twin tanks.

Since I am not going to use the hardness molds, I am better off with with a Scubapro X-Tek Pro Hardness with a good wing and backplate. Then you are talking about modular design and lots of adjustment possibilities. For a new diver, some would say that this is overkill. I think you are better off with a X-Tek hardness.

- Start training with kit you can grow into and expand your diving skills.
- Might not be more expensive. (Only pay for for you are using.)
- No re-training if you later want to move on from a jacket to hardness for more technical stuff.
- Hardly any logo on the X-Tek Pro Hardness.

Just my 2 cents.

I am not seeing a lot of divers here using Xtek? Why is that? Price? Quality? If they were pricing similarly, which brand would you pick and why?

This is a discussion of the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD. Let's keep it that way. It looks good, feels good on with the new material for a BCD. I borrowed one for a couple of dives.

I have highlighted why I will not get one. I think I am better off with a traditional hardness and a wing. I might end up with Scubapro X-Tek, but will look around for alternatives and speak to my local dive buddies. Dive Rite, Apeks, Hollies are Halcyon are all popular. Building your own is also a very good alternative.

I am a more "one brand man". Nothing wrong with mixing, both for functionality and price. Going into research and test mode. Part of building up my diving knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom