Dialing in Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished Rescue and probably won't take any more courses for a while. I like a measurable challenge so I'm also looking for some ideas to hone my skills. I think it might be fun to come up with some buoyancy drills/challenges with a dive buddy to do at the beginning or end of a dive. Anyone have any fun ones they use with students? I saw that the local quarry has PVC rectangles suspended by the training platforms for this kind of thing. I would love to push myself to really master precise finning and buoyancy control. I'm decent but every once in a while still catch myself "correcting" with my hands, or not quite getting the back finning right.

If you can do a basic 5 drill and shoot an SMB without moving around and losing your position, then you know you have a solid base of buoyancy and trim. I recommend doing this at about 15 or 20 feet since you're so much more buoyant at shallower depths. I wouldn't recommend doing propulsion without being shown the proper way to do the kicks because you might ingrain bad habits :/

Back
Top Bottom