Suunto Vytec big problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Suunto Vytec for about two years now.
Just before the first year ended, I was in the boat heading to the dive site when I started hearing some beeps. I looked at my wrist and I saw the Vytec had gone crazy, showing impossible deepths and other data. Needless to say that I could not count anymore with it for the dive and it went strait to the shop. The warrant was still good.
Some weeks later I got a new one and they told the old had had a software problem.
Last week I did a shore dive.
I jumped to the water (not more than 1 meter high) and when I am on the water I started hearing continuous beeps (again!).
The computer had gone crazy one more time, I mean, a new computer with the same problem. But now I don't have any warranty.
Has anyone had the same or similar problem?
Can it be a Suunto problem?
I have allways taken good care of the material, and it is a software problem, not hardware.

nunomad:
I have a Suunto Vytec for about two years now.
Just before the first year ended, I was in the boat heading to the dive site when I started hearing some beeps. I looked at my wrist and I saw the Vytec had gone crazy, showing impossible deepths and other data. Needless to say that I could not count anymore with it for the dive and it went strait to the shop. The warrant was still good.
Some weeks later I got a new one and they told the old had had a software problem.
Last week I did a shore dive.
I jumped to the water (not more than 1 meter high) and when I am on the water I started hearing continuous beeps (again!).
The computer had gone crazy one more time, I mean, a new computer with the same problem. But now I don't have any warranty.
Has anyone had the same or similar problem?
Can it be a Suunto problem?
I have allways taken good care of the material, and it is a software problem, not hardware.

My vytec has worked flawlessly for about 300 dives. I would be surprised if suunto would not repair this computer even though the warranty was over.
Good luck and keep us posted. If they don't help you out we ALL want to know about it.

My VyTec has about 150 dives on it. One or two issues that I could account for and I use a back-up computer (also a Suunto). It has not needed replacing.

I agree with the previous poster. I think most of us Suunto owners would *love* to hear about it if Suunto does not correct the issue for you. I have not had anything but excellent service on my Mosquito.

i only have about 50 dives on my suunto, but never had a problem with it, it's worked flawlessly

jonnythan:
Have you called Suunto?
Here is their answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Suunto.

We are very sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced with your Vytec dive-computers. In this case we can unfortunately only advise you to contact the retailer from where the dive-computer was originally bought. They will send the Vytec to service where the problem will be examined and determined.

Please enclose you contact details and mention that your dive-computer has already been exchanged once and approximately when this was.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause you.

With Best Regards,

Suunto Helpdesk
I took the computer to the shop where I bought it and I'm just waiting for the bill.

This might seem like a silly question, but hear me out first. How sure are you that you got a brand new computer? Hypothetically speaking, couldn't they have just tried to fix your first one and when they thought they had fixed, sent it back to you? It just seems odd that the same problem would happen to, what they have claimed, is two different computers with different software. Keep us posted on the progress of this case man.

Hi!

question:
Have you been flying and turned on the computer onboard? I haerd about them going crazy because of the pressurised cabin...

Hello.
Sorry for the late reply, but I have way from computers and with little time.
CNTdiver:I know it was a new computer because off the scratches of the first one.
Scuba Leon: I did not fly with it (I wanted to, but it went mad just before the two times in my life I was traveling to a dive destination).
But now I have good news.
Suunto gave me a new one. I hope this is the one.
They did not charge anything because it was software problem, not my fault.
Are they installing Windows on it :D ?
Although I wasn't pleased with the malfunction, I liked the way I was treated by Suunto.

Well, 8 years later, my third computer, same model, exactly the same malfunction.
For some time, back in 2004, I was worried about not being able to take care of my diving computers.
But I have come to the conclusion that it cannot be my fault: the same software malfunction in three different computers has to be due to a software flaw, not me. Suunto.jpg

Back
Top Bottom