Diver missing in Tubbataha Reef in Palawan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not much information as of the moment. Apparently the diver has been missing since Monday PM (local time) but the coast guard was only informed Tuesday AM. The diver was part of a group of a locally famous photographer. Dives Tubbataha are usually deep/wall dives and currents can be strong. Here are links to several local news sites:
PH Coast Guard launches search for missing diver in Palawan
Diver reported missing in Tubbataha Reef
Coast Guard searches for missing diver in Tubbataha Reef

Short dive site description where the diver was lost: Scuba Diving in Amos Rock, Philippines - Dive Site - Divebooker.com

Southern part of North Atoll.
Let's hope for the best.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 10.26.39 am.png

Rather distressing news. I get that not enough information being released at the moment, but I couldn't help wondering why the boat only raised the alarm 19 hours after realising that a diver was missing.

I hope it wasn't too late for Bryan

All the articles make a point of mentioning the delay but I suspect there's more to it than that.

Hoping for the best.

Search continues for missing diver in Tubbataha Reef

Search continues for missing diver in Tubbataha Reef
ABS-CBN News
Posted at Jun 08 2019 05:51 PM

diver.jpg

Bryan Nazareno was last seen Monday, June 3, in Amos Rock in Tubbataha Reef. He was reported missing the next day.

MANILA—The search continues for the diver who has been missing for 5 days while exploring Tubbataha Reef in Palawan, authorities said on Saturday.

Bryan Nazareno was last seen Monday, June 3, in Amos Rock in Tubbataha Reef. He was reported missing the next day.

Western Command's (Wescom) Joint Task Force Integrated Crisis Action Response to Emergencies (I-CARE) met Saturday to discuss the results of search and rescue operations for Nazareno.

"According to the latest nilang rescue operations, zero sighting po kay Bryan. Wala pong body na lumutang, na floating and there was no equipment underwater that was sighted," said Lt. Col. Stephen Penetrante, public affairs officer of Wescom.

(According to the latest rescue operations, there's zero sighting of Bryan. There was no body found floating and there was no equipment underwater that was sighted.)

Photos taken by Nazareno's fellow divers before their jump-off showed the missing diver filming reefs. They said there was no indication that he was experiencing problems while diving.

"Nagsa-sign pa siya ng OK. Tapos tinitingnan niya pa 'yung camera niya, underwater camera. There was no sign of panic or whatever danger kay Bryan. Ang tawag nga nila doon chill. Cool na cool si Bryan sa baba," Penetrante said.

(He was signaling OK. Then he was looking at his underwater camera. There was no sign of panic or whatever danger from Bryan. They call him "chill.")

"At nakikita naman doon 'yung fin niya, relaxed 'yung fins niya. Walang nahulog na equipment. So, kaya nasasabi nila is mysterious."

(His fin was relaxed. No equipment fell out, which is why they say his disappearance is mysterious.)

Nazareno's fellow divers noticed he was missing during their first decompression stop, according to his wife, Karrots.

"There's like a safety procedure wherein you have to decompress at certain levels, right? So at that first decompression stop where everybody was, that's where they all met and it was only like not even 5 minutes, not even 3 minutes, maybe in a span of 1 minute, that's when they realized that he was no longer in the group," she said.

Karrots Nazareno said she still hopes her husband is alive.

"He's been diving for about 20 years. He has about 600 dives under his belt. At least me, I’m operating on the assumption that he's still alive and he's floating somewhere. Hopefully, a fisherman picked him up. So we're communicating with local communities along the seaside, hopefully they have seen something," she said.

The air, underwater and sea surveillance of the search and rescue task force were underway at the time this story was posted.

Nazareno's family also urged those who could have seen him to coordinate with authorities. — Report from Diana Lat, ABS-CBN News

More information about the last moments he was seen on the dive.

Public support sought to find missing Tubbataha diver

Public support sought to find missing Tubbataha diver
Missing-diver-Bryan.jpg

Bryan Nazareno (left photo) aboard a dive boat before he went missing. On the right, encircled, shows him holding his underwater camera in Amos Rock, Tubbataha Reef. (Photo courtesy of M/Y Palausports)

Karrots Nazareno, the wife of missing Tubbataha Reef diver Bryan Nazareno, is seeking the help of coastal residents in municipalities and nearby provinces in the Sulu Sea for any information to find her husband.

Now on Day 6, the search for Bryan around Tubbataha area where he was last seen diving has come up empty.

missing-diver.jpg

Karrots is hopeful that he was found by fishermen in the coastal areas of Palawan. “‘Yong asawa ko, si Bryan ay isang diver, at nawawala siya noong June 3. Last siyang nakita sa Tubbataha. Hinahanap namin siya at hanggang ngayon hindi pa namin siya makita. May mga divers na hinahanap siya, we have also mga kaibigan sa military, and we’re all looking for him… air surveillance has also been ongoing, baka sakaling napadpad siya sa inyo at nakita niyo siya, baka may kaibigan kayong mangingisda na may nakita, pakisabi na lang sa pulis ninyo at sa barangay… sana po matulungan niyo kami na mahanap siya,” Karrots said.

Karrots told Palawan News in an interview on Saturday that Bryan flew to Puerto Princesa City on June 1 and boarded M/Y Palausport to arrive in Tubbataha for a first dive on June 2.

She said June 3 was the day Bryan was reported missing to the ranger station of the Tubbataha Management Office (TMO) that in turn alerted authorities, including the provincial government.

Karrots narrated that Bryan was with underwater photographer Scott “Gutsy” Tuason and a group of divers before he went missing in Amos Rock, one of the popular diving spots in the marine park.

“He was following Gutsy, and then there was a lady, who was also part of their group, she was taking a video… so there’s also a video showing the last time Bryan was seen. He was following Gutsy, took photos, and then he turned to the video-taking lady and he made a (hand) signal that he will go up. Gutsy was not even gone for like one minute, met up with Bryan, and then… hindi ba when you go up, you don’t go up dire-diretso? Hindi ka puwede. You have to do it at certain stops. So, below there were people doing diving, as they were doing the ascent, there were people above them. Beyond that, there were dive masters watching. He was still in the group, they can still see him. And when they went to… it’s called a decompression stop, you pause at a certain depth and then you do a head count… when they did that pause, he was no longer there,” she said.

Karrots said she was told that at that time, Bryan was already at a depth of around 35-40 meters because he was done diving and preparing to ascend.

The standard operating procedure (SOP), she said, was if he got separated from the dive group, Bryan will go up by himself, do decompression, and release his balloon to go up.

When no one saw him above the water, Tuason went back to look for him.

“When they didn’t see him, the partner went back down. They reported him missing and prepared for a search dive. They went back in and continued to do that. There was no balloon, no bubbles, no nothing,” she said.

Karrots remains hopeful that her husband will be found because, by nature, Bryan is “very calm and does not panic” when presented with dangerous situations.

She said he “is always fully aware of safety precautions and prioritizes safety.”

Bryan has been diving for 20 years and has about 600 dives under his belt, Karrots said.

“He has dove abroad, has been to Tubbataha for like three times so when it comes to experience, he’s very experienced. Bryan’s a recreational videographer and Gutsy is a good friend whom he looks up to when it comes to underwater photography,” she said.

The Nazareno family is working closely with the provincial government to spread missing person notices in coastal areas of the municipalities and provinces in the Sulu Sea where he may have been carried away by the currents.

“How can you give yourself a timeline to find him? He’s my husband… the sea is really just so endless and it’s so easy to feel hopeless, but then you have to… I don’t know, I guess you just have to ground yourself and prepare yourself for the worst… but then keep your hope as deep as the sea. Whatever the result, we will be ready. But we cannot just sit and wait, we have to take action,” she said.

The search and rescue (SAR) operations to find Bryan is led by the Western Command (WESCOM) through the Joint Task Force Integrated Crisis Action Response to Emergencies (I-CARE) being supervised by the Tactical Operations Wing West (TOW West) under its operational control.

Earlier, Lt. Ronne Riel Grimpola, spokesperson of the Naval Forces West (NFW), said a private company has already offered the use of its remotely operated vehicle (ROV) to find Nazareno in the underwater nature reserve.

Police Col. Greg Togonon, chief of the 2nd Special Operations Unit-Maritime Group also said Thursday that they have dispatched SAR teams onboard Dauntless Boat SOU 007 on June 5 to search for Bryan in the eastern portion of Narra, Sofronio Española, Brooke’s Point, Bataraza, and Balabac.

Thanks for the update.

Should had never ever allowed to ascent alone no matter how experienced you are.
It has happened so many times and history keep repeating itself..
Take nothing for granted.

Tubattaha is in very remote area. Only the rangers live on the atoll and the nearest landmass is miles away.

I wasn't sure if they both did an ascent of some kind together as it said: "and then he turned to the video-taking lady and he made a (hand) signal that he will go up. Gutsy was not even gone for like one minute, met up with Bryan, and then… hindi ba when you go up, you don’t go up dire-diretso? Hindi ka puwede. You have to do it at certain stops. So, below there were people doing diving, as they were doing the ascent, there were people above them."

The other odd thing is the delay. That boat has multiple ways to communicate with shore. With the Ranger Station being nearby I can understand why they might additionally go there, but not primarily to communicate with shore.

The account was given by the missing diver's wife and I have a feeling that she was NOT there personally.

"they were doing the ascent" "there were people above them" who was the other diver and what was his/her account?

As for the delay? Your guess is as good as mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom