Cuba Travel cancelled by US government

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard this and thought right away some of the scuba businesses will be seriously affected, such as the Aggressor who I think has 2 boats there (Jardines Aggressor I and II), relatively new, and Avalon, which I think added a new boat recently (Avalon III), on top of their 2 previous ones. And then there's the MV Oceans for Youth. These boats were added after the loosening up of travel to Cuba just a few years ago, to accommodate the "wave" of Americans, and now this. :shakehead:

Without the Americans, I doubt all the new and old boats can fill themselves. But of course, there are ways around it. We'll just have to see if the customers are willing to take the extra step(s) to do so.

I don't want to sound like an opportunist (but I guess I am one), but I suspect prices will be coming down in the near future for these liveaboards.

Just looked at the Padi Travel website under Jardines Aggressor II. It says (under "How to get there"):
  • Please note the travel regulation is recently changed and U.S. citizens are not allowed anymore to travel to Cuba
Wow, it sounds pretty firm, "no ifs, ands or buts."

Another reason I'm happy I got my Canadian passport last month. (I'm a dual citizen.) Vancouver, BC is close enough to fly out of for me....

It always has been pretty easy for Americans to circumvent the rules and very unlikely to suffer repercussions ... or so I have heard. I would never advocate breaking a law on a public forum.
If you get caught you will be looking at 10 years in prison.

Not worth the risk IMO, especially when there's a plethora of other third world countries that haven't chosen to make themselves our enemy.

Another reason I'm happy I got my Canadian passport last month. (I'm a dual citizen.) Vancouver, BC is close enough to fly out of for me....
The US would never prosecute you as a Canadian. As an American is a different story. ICE would do it for spite.

If you get caught you will be looking at 10 years in prison.

Not worth the risk IMO, especially when there's a plethora of other third world countries that haven't chosen to make themselves our enemy.

To some people, it may depend on what they believe the actual risk is. I have no idea what enforcement or penalties are actually like today, but 15-20 years ago I recall people on travel discussion forums saying they got caught because they did something obviously inconsistent, like returning in January from "Toronto" with a tan, and received the proverbial slap on the wrist--either a scolding and no fine or a small fine. Never saw anything claiming firsthand knowledge of an ordinary US citizen receiving a prison term for having been caught taking a vacation in Cuba. I held off for years while I had a security clearance, but after that, I didn't care.

To some people, it may depend on what they believe the actual risk is. I have no idea what enforcement or penalties are actually like today, but 15-20 years ago I recall people on travel discussion forums saying they got caught because they did something obviously inconsistent, like returning in January from "Toronto" with a tan, and received the proverbial slap on the wrist--either a scolding and no fine or a small fine. Never saw anything claiming firsthand knowledge of an ordinary US citizen receiving a prison term for having been caught taking a vacation in Cuba. I held off for years while I had a security clearance, but after that, I didn't care.

My U.S. friend did that recieved a huge fine. However, because couldn't have his day in court or something to that affect, was able to negotiate the fine down to $1500.

My U.S. friend did that recieved a huge fine. However, because couldn't have his day in court or something to that affect, was able to negotiate the fine down to $1500.

So there IS anecdotal evidence that people DO get penalized for it, not just a slap on the wrist.

So there is anecdotal evidence that people DO get penalized for it, not just a slap of the wrist.

$1500 is in line with some of the stories I read when I was looking into it years ago. That IS a slap on the wrist compared with a possible 10 years in prison.

$1500 is in line with some of the stories I read when I was looking into it years ago. That IS a slap on the wrist compared with a possible 10 years in prison.

Haha, I've always thought it REALLY was just a slap on the wrist, because I was under the wrong impression that it was only a threat to prosecute, but that enforcement wasn't actually occurring. This was based on my impression that many people were doing it without a care in the world. But yeah, $1,500 compared to a 10 year prison sentence is a slap on the wrist.

what are you saying.you cant get a tan in canada in january ?why the hell not this is outrageous .im going to cuba

Back
Top Bottom