Do you carry a backup SPG to your AI computer? If so- check this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

those with user replaceable batteries such as mine are more prone to failure following replacement especially if the same O-ring is used.
This is NOT proper maintenance, so is hardly an argument for dive computers being unreliable. But is IS an argument for replacing o-rings when a battery is changed; anything else is playing Russian roulette.

If your computer dies, do you continue your dive? If you end your dive immediately, does it matter if you also lost your SPG?

The one time my dive computer failed I continued the dive, when my girlfriends computer died, she continued her dive as well, we were both diving "blind" with no SPG and although it wasn't a dealbreaker it would have been nice to have the backup.

The one time my dive computer failed I continued the dive, when my girlfriends computer died, she continued her dive as well, we were both diving "blind" with no SPG and although it wasn't a dealbreaker it would have been nice to have the backup.

Just so I am clear, when your computer died and you continued your dive, were you carrying a backup computer? Or are you saying you continued your dive with no computer at all (of your own)?

Just so I am clear, when your computer died and you continued your dive, were you carrying a backup computer? Or are you saying you continued your dive with no computer at all (of your own)?

At the time of both primary computer failures neither one of us had a backup computer or SPG and we continued the dive pretty much as usual. Note that both failures were during the same "bad luck" trip to Cozumel where we were led by an Aldora DM.

At the time of both primary computer failures neither one of us had a backup computer or SPG and we continued the dive pretty much as usual. Note that both failures were during the same "bad luck" trip to Cozumel where we were led by an Aldora DM.

Did you have to use her octopus at the end of the dive ?

You can plan out the dive with no backup SPG and still have a backup plan.

-I dive with AI Perdix and no "spg".
-I have a button SPG on my first stage so I can check when gassing up.
-My dive buddy (wife) knows my eq setup and knows I have a button gauge there if needed.
-I know my SAC rate and expected dive time. Even though we typically call dives on pressure, I have a good idea at what time I would call the dive.
-If I really lose my AI, I can simply end the dive 10 min early and know I would surface with more than 1k. My buddy/wife knows this is my plan.
-I know my wife's consumption compared to mine and know I could finish the dive using her pressure reading.

Worse case scenario, my AI goes down and I lose 10 minutes off my dive. I have a SPG and wrench in my bag so the next dive is not impacted.

You can plan out the dive with no backup SPG and still have a backup plan.

Sure as long as you have a buddy. What about the rest of us who have occasion to dive solo?

J-valve.

Ducks and runs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom