Raja Ampat Resort Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island is beautiful and has cockatoos and other exotic birds flying around.
Exactly, forgot to say you could spend hours on the jetty watching the sulphur crested cockatoos flying and playing in the big trees.

We spent five nights at the Raja Ampat Dive Lodge in September. The resort was beautiful, the food was excellent and the diving was great! With our deluxe package, we did 3-4 dives a day with a hot lunch served to us on deserted islands between dives. We were there in the off season and had the resort to ourselves almost the whole stay. Wish we would have had more time there to enjoy paradise. Definitely recommend!

We spent five nights at the Raja Ampat Dive Lodge in September. The resort was beautiful, the food was excellent and the diving was great! With our deluxe package, we did 3-4 dives a day with a hot lunch served to us on deserted islands between dives. We were there in the off season and had the resort to ourselves almost the whole stay. Wish we would have had more time there to enjoy paradise. Definitely recommend!

Hi divedog49 can i check with you how much does it cost per night for your trip at raja ampat dive lodge? Also do they go to the passage and fam island?

I cant seem to find these information from their website.. and i would like to get more information before i approach them by email.. was thinking for a trip maybe december next year.

Thanks for the advice everyone, great to have feedback from people who have stayed at these places.
I've been in touch with Herma from Raja Ampat Dive Lodge via facebook (their website is not great as mostly grand komodo liveabord info and not much about the resort)... We've been offered this package "5 days 4 nights diving package : Deluxe twin room at US$ 1,345 per person Deluxe single room at US$ 1,565 per person Inclusive of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and 6x dives."
Also got info from Papua Paradise ... "6D5N with 4 days of diving (2 dives/day) Superior Over Water Bungalow: USD 1,888/person includes nitrox"

So now just waiting for the group to decide ;-)

To the woman from diving specials - i'm not interested in booking a trip through you, so please don't send me any more private messages. Thank you.

Gosh that seems like too much money for so few dives but that's just me. I'd do back to back lob's if I only could.

Have you checked the schedule for MSY Seahorse?

We coordinated our trip through Grand Komodo (grandkomodo.com) including 2 LOBs and the RA Dive Lodge. They did a great job with all of the domestic travel arrangements, including flights, ferry and hotel stays enroute. They were very easy to deal with via email. We found them through this forum (Thanks to all the forum posters!) and Undercurrent reviews.

We booked the Deluxe package with 16 dives including 5 nights accommodation in a Beach front double deluxe room, meals and transfer out : US$ 1,625 x 2 persons = US$ 3,250. We paid an additional $175 total for the one way transfer in (public ferry and speedboat) from Sorong. The Conservation/park fee was $80/person. I've attached the dive log sheet we were given at the end of the stay that shows the sites they visit.
. RA dive lodge dive site map.jpg

There is not much to do at these resorts other than diving (was just at Papua Paradise). I would look at their unlimited diving package or diving three times a day however. Two a day does not really work for me - or the resort if you dive across the straight.

They offer two kinds of diving local diving and across the straight diving. Local diving returns you to the resort for lunch before going out for the third dive of the day. Across the straight sends you to the iconic dive sites of the straight. Sardine reef, cree, magic mountain etc. and you get a boxed lunch on shore somewhere before going out for the third dive. (The two dives a day package may not work for across the straight diving as you will want to do three dives)

If you want to go to Fam Islands there is an additional charge. I did not do that as I have been a couple of times already but it is worth doing.

I did three dives a day and never did do the house reef.

I did about half and half local and across the straight.

Across the straight was much busier with lots of divers at all of the sites. From liveaboards and the local resorts.

Local diving was as good and no other divers on the sites. The Mandarin Fish dive was very good. Finally got pictures I like. There are a couple of good local macro dives. They also have a local manta dive.

If I were to do it again I would still do half and half just for the variety.

Thanks again everyone.

We have thought about liveaboard, but as we just come off one after 11 nights, we prefer to spend some down time on a beach/ in the resort and dive less. Does seem like a high price for so few dives, will go back to Raja Lodge and ask if they can give better based upon @divedog49 comments. but maybe because it was packaged together with their liveaboard???
part of me says "lets go to lembeh again"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom