Bali 2 week itinerary - beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubao17

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello ScubaBoard!

I just booked a trip to Bali this July, where I've blocked off the first 15 days for diving. I'm very much a beginner (5 dives, OW certified), so looking for places suitable to that level.

Hoping to cover a couple different spots over the 15 days, diving 3-4 times/day. Wondering if anyone had tips on an ideal itinerary?

Reading through past threads, seems like Tulamben is beginner-friendly -- so thinking I might start there for 5 days (and do my AOW class then too). Also seems like Komodo will have to wait for another time when I have far more dives under my belt, but do you think I could progress to places like Pulau Menjangan or Nusa Lembongan/Penida?

Thanks so much!

Just throwing this out there... but consider heading right to the Gili Islands off Lombok to cut your teeth on Indonesia diving and complete your AOW. There are several quality dive centers with solid instructors who will give you a worthwhile course... and I suspect you will find the diving there a little more varied than the muck diving around Tulamben- you will see more turtles than you can shake at stick at, some sharks, rays etc.. The water is warm and predictable and you can progress from simple, easy dives to more intense drifts on Shark Point and Deep Turbo. Then, after five or six days, fast boat back to Padang Bai and dive the famous spots around Nusa Penida/Lembongan, the Padang Bai jetty to check out muck diving, etc... Besides, the Gili Islands are magical and one of my favorite locations in all of Indonesia. Everyone should spend a few days there.

All that being said, I love me some Tulamben and your original plan is for sure workable.

Tulamben is certainly beginner friendly and also excellent diving. You could spend the whole time there with some day trips to Amed as well.

Seraya (between Tulamben & Amed) is well worth a few days also. Seraya & Amed are both short drives from Tulamben.

Just throwing this out there... but consider heading right to the Gili Islands off Lombok to cut your teeth on Indonesia diving and complete your AOW.
Thanks for the tip! I'd read others saying that the diving in Gili Islands isn't quite as amazing as in Tulamben due to past fish bombing, but mostly looking at old threads -- are these concerns overblown / have the reefs recovered? I do like the chance of seeing turtles/etc.

As for Nusa Penida/Lembongan, how many dives are recommended before going to spots like Manta Point and Crystal Bay? By then I'd expect to have ~30 dives, would that be enough? I'm anticipating a no, but hopeful

Tulamben is certainly beginner friendly and also excellent diving. You could spend the whole time there with some day trips to Amed as well.
Thanks! If I end up going the Tulamben route, I'll make sure to save enough time to dive Amed and Seraya as well.

Thanks for the tip! I'd read others saying that the diving in Gili Islands isn't quite as amazing as in Tulamben due to past fish bombing, but mostly looking at old threads -- are these concerns overblown / have the reefs recovered? I do like the chance of seeing turtles/etc.

As for Nusa Penida/Lembongan, how many dives are recommended before going to spots like Manta Point and Crystal Bay? By then I'd expect to have ~30 dives, would that be enough? I'm anticipating a no, but hopeful

Thanks! If I end up going the Tulamben route, I'll make sure to save enough time to dive Amed and Seraya as well.

I really like matts1w idea. Get in a few more dives, take your AOW, get in a few more dives.

You've got a couple of weeks. If you don't party too hard, you could probably follow up with a little taste of it all by the time you return home.

Take one step at a time.
1. Find a reputable operator to refresh your skill if you have not done any diving since OW course and then AOW.
One of the Gili Islands, as already suggested, should fit the bill.
2. Return to Padang Bai or wherever with confidence.

Take one step at a time.
1. Find a reputable operator to refresh your skill if you have not done any diving since OW course and then AOW.
One of the Gili Islands, as already suggested, should fit the bill.
2. Return to Padang Bai or wherever with confidence.

Exactly!

At Tulamben I found entering the sea via the stony beach was OK but the swell was really small on the four occasions I was here. If the waves are bigger it might be a bit of a challenge so I don't see it as an easy location per se. Padang Bai was much easier and all of the dives were by boat. There are several good operators here with my preference being Geko Dive. I'd look for accommodation close to them as it's quieter in this part of town. Puri Rai is two doors away but book early as it will be high season.

In Komodo I've done some gentle dives as well as more challenging diving. The operators match your experience and confidence to the conditions, there are often different options at each site so I wouldn't rule out Komodo, plus it's so much better than Bali for life on coral reefs.

At Nusa Penida there are nice coral reefs and some challenging sites like Crystal Bay due to currents and unpredictable large waves. At Manta Point point there is sometimes some moderate swell so you need to have good buoyancy control.

I haven't been to the Gilis, I took one look at the sort of people boarding the ferry from Padang Bai (and heard the awful loud music playing on the boat) and promptly left. Don't be put off if though if a young crowd is OK for you as I hear the diving is nice and the beaches are too.

I'd go to Padang Bai, at least for the start of your holiday. This was where I went on my first two trips to Indonesia and it was good fun when I was building my confidence. The only other advice I'll pass on is that I think diving in Bali is best done on the basis of moving around, go to two or three locations. Taxis should be very cheap to move you about and prepare to barter.

Just wanted to give an update, and to thank everyone for your help!

Ended up going to Gili Air as @matts1w recommended. Stayed for a week at Blue Marlin Dive and had a great time -- did my AOW then 3 fun dives/day for the rest of the week. Their instructors were fantastic, and lodging was new and nice. Manta Dive looked great too, but I went with Blue Marlin largely since it's on the quieter northern end of the island. Here was my in-depth review, for any future readers thinking of staying there. Gili Air was indeed a perfect place to start: got used to drift diving, and had plenty to see (including so many turtles).

Decided to extend my stay in Indonesia by quite a bit, so I then spent a few days in Tulamben with Liberty Dive Resort. Was really cool to see all the little critters, though LDR seems more tailored to experienced macro photographers than to camera-less beginners like me. Liberty wreck certainly made for a fun night dive, though.

Now I'm up to 30 dives, so heading to Padangbai where I'll dive with @gekodivebali for 10 days or so. @Rob669, thanks for the heads up on the currents... I'll plan with them on how to ease my way into the more current-heavy sites.

After that, the girlfriend's flying over to join for a couple weeks of topside, and then I'll cap off my trip with a week diving in Komodo. I hear diving's restricted to northern/central Komodo during dry season, so planning on staying on land (either in Labuan Bajo or with Scuba Junkies) and joining a day boat operator.

Thanks again everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom