Sticking snorkel valve lube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hakuna

Registered
Reaction score
So I really like the snorkel I have for freediving (and just swimming around) but after quite a bit of use the silicone flap sticks closed occasionally. Of course it does this when you need air the most! Anyone have an idea on the best way to lube it? I've taken it apart and cleaned it, but it still happens occasionally. Often enough to find it highly annoying. I was thinking of using a very tiny bit of silicone grease like I use on camera housing O-rings, but I'm not sure if that wouldn't just make it worse. Maybe wipe a thin film of silcone oil?

BTW to avoid any responses saying get a different one---I use a rolled up J-tube for scuba and I know I can just use an open tube for snorkeling as well. I like this one.

Anyhow, if any has a solution I'd love to hear it. I really like the snorkel, so if I can solve it I'd like to.

Thanks.

Maybe silicone spray?

How about sharing the make/model or a picture of the piece of gear you are asking about? How can you expect someone to make a product specific recommendation without you actually identifying the actual product.

SMH

-Z

How about sharing the make/model or a picture of the piece of gear you are asking about? How can you expect someone to make a product specific recommendation without you actually identifying the actual product.

SMH

-Z

I wasn't asking a model specific question. Just what you use to lube a sticking silicone flap or seal.

It's a Sherwood Tiga and the valve is the dry valve or splash valve. It closes when you freedive or when you get covered by a wave. Then when you come up it opens. When it sticks it's right when you need a breath.

I'll try some light silicone oil on the flap and see how it works. I'll report back in case someone else searches on this.

Are you referring to a purge valve near the mouthpiece or a dry valve on the other end of the snorkel?

I wasn't asking a model specific question. Just what you use to lube a sticking silicone flap or seal.

If it's sticking then wash the pancake syrup or whatever off the valve. If it still sticks then the silicone is shot, throw it in the bin.

If it's sticking then wash the pancake syrup or whatever off the valve. If it still sticks then the silicone is shot, throw it in the bin.

I washed it. Might be the silicone itself is going. I'll try the light silicone oil and if it happens again I'll swap to a new one.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom