Sticking snorkel valve lube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would call it a design flaw. It is probably pressure (you trying to suck) that is holding the flapper shut. There are better snorkel designs that don't seal shut on you but still have a splash protection.

I would call it a design flaw. It is probably pressure (you trying to suck) that is holding the flapper shut. There are better snorkel designs that don't seal shut on you but still have a splash protection.

This particular design uses the weight of the float when its not under water to pull the flap open. It worked fine for dozens of times and then started having problems so it's not the "suck". I have a couple of others but they aren't as comfortable. Now that I've spent too much time messing with it, I'll probably just replace it with another.

Think twice about using a silicone lubricant on a silicone part. Silicone rubber (a misnomer, I know) will absorb the grease and eventually distort it, therefore it is not recommended. *

If I understand the OP's snorkel malfunction correctly, there is a sticking flapper valve in the top of the tube. I would try a PTFE type lubricant.

*https://www.super-lube.com/Content/Images/uploaded/documents/Compatability Charts/Super Lube Silicone O-Ring Grease.pdf

And THIS is why I asked! Somewhere in the back of my mind there was something stopping me from using silicone on silicone...I think I had heard this before somewhere. Thanks much for replying. I'll try PTFE and if it doesn't fix it immediately I'll replace the snorkel.

If you are going to replace your snorkel (which I did because my dry snorkel was sticking) I would advise you to consider going to a "semi-dry". I switchd and got a huge improvement. I bought a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCPU05F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

It is "semi-dry" but i find it to be dry even in high waves. The huge advantage with this snorkel is the barrel width/ air flow. On surface swims (especially at the end of a dive) I was feeling that I was short of air with my previous dry snorkel. With the Tusa I always feel that I have at least as much air as my reg was providing.

Seriously mate put the snorkel in hot water and pry the valve out
and give it a go like that

With a bit of practice and some technique videos or something you will be amazed
breathing slowly to avoid ingestion when water inevitably finds its way in
and also how to tilt your head to expel water before surfacing

Here's one of mine vintage fifty years ago, they were rubbish then too

full.jpg

they were mainly for children from the Five & Dime
We all pulled or hacked the valves off after one dive

Man there was nothing worse than breathing when a benign wave came through
the valve closing unnecessarily with what I call the clunk, like when your reg stops delivering
and upsetting the vibe

a little water is controllable the valve not

I'm talking snorkeling, try it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom