Dive Op help - first timer on GC, arriving by cruise ship - ugh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rypark1999

I have the utmost respect for a LACUU Advanced Diver. I will always wish that I would have had the opportunity to take the course before I left California in 1980.

Enjoy your visit to Grand Cayman, let us know how it works out for you.

@rypark1999

I have the utmost respect for a LACUU Advanced Diver. I will always wish that I would have had the opportunity to take the course before I left California in 1980.

Enjoy your visit to Grand Cayman, let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks!!

The LAC program was AWESOME!! It definitely honed my skills - which were very shabby prior to. Complete 180 turn around from how I used to dive to how I approach diving now. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Thanks!!

The LAC program was AWESOME!! It definitely honed my skills - which were very shabby prior to. Complete 180 turn around from how I used to dive to how I approach diving now. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Now, get rid of the devil and you will be set :)

I dive a lot with Living the Dream because they do 2 tank pm dives. They run a shuttle, but not sure if they pick up at the dock, so as suggested by others here, email them to see if your schedule works. Also, you may still want to consider the ship's excursion. I got my start diving off cruise ships, and while I always tried to avoid the excursions, sometimes knowing that you will not be left standing at the dock if you are late getting back is worth it. If the ship is leaving at 6 pm, you will probably need to be ready to tender back to the ship closer to 5 pm. Enjoy your dive!

I dove with Living the Dream and Red Sail a couple weeks ago.

Living the Dream was fantastic. One of the best dive ops I've dove with. I highly recommend them.

Red Sail was entirely adequate.

Realistically you'd be pushing it to do two north wall dives and return to the port within your timeframe as hard as that is to believe. Most shops don't do 2 tanks in the PM period - a lot of them use their boat to do Stingray City or the Kittiwake. Figure 2 hrs diving, 45min ride each way and your SI is longer since the 1st dive is deep.

I second Giles at Wall to Wall. I don't believe Fosters does a 2nd afternoon 2 tank. DNS also has a shop in Georgetown afaik. Other shops working out of Lobster Pot Dive Center include Deep Blue and Off the Wall. I've read OtW is pretty cruise friendly. Any of the west side dives mentioned above are among the best of Cayman that most people know about.
Lobster Pot (it's a restaurant) has a dive ops page on their website.

If Foster's is your cruise operator - they have the cruise contract so deliver on that - I believe they are for everyone but Disney.

If the Silversides have shown up at Eden Rock when you arrive it's a fantastic dive through the (open) caverns with them. 100 yards from he cruise port. It could be about now for about 6 weeks. Otherwise it's just some hopeful tarpon at a site that's seen better days due to all the cruise traffic.

afaik LtD keeps their boat in the North Sound. So add 1/2 hr by van if they do pickup. Red Sail is the Disney Cruse oerator - you have to cab to their SMB location where sometimes they beach a boat. But since it's a flat bottom they won't go north unless it's flat calm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom