Mares Pure Hybrid BCD vs Backplate - Will I really reduce weight by 8lbs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using a Mares Pure SLS Hybrid BCD which I'm happy with, but would like to upgrade to a backplate system, most likely an OMS.

I've read that I will remove about 8lbs of lead on my weight belt by going to a back plate - is this true?
Does the Mares BCD really have that much more buoyancy?

If you go to a backplate and wing with a harness that does not have positively buoyant padding, you will be able to reduce the amount of lead from your weight belt equal to however buoyant your current BCD is.

If your current BCD is +8lbs buoyant and you are compensating for that by wearing 8lbs of lead in addition to any other lead you need to descend...then you will be able to reduce approximately 8lbs of lead from your weight belt.

You may find, depending on the type of plate you purchase, that you can reduce the amount of lead on your weight belt further. On average, a stainless steel plate weighs roughly 6lbs. That equates to roughly 6lbs of lead you can remove from your weight belt.

All in all, the amount of lead you need to be wearing/carrying is combined factor of the buoyancy of your body due to its composition, the buoyancy of your exposure suit, and the buoyancy of the rest of your gear.

Typically, if one does not change anything else, when they switch to a BP/W, they will be able to remove lead from their weight belt.

-Z

Put your current BCD in the water you typically dive (fresh or salt), and set some weight on it until it starts to sink. That’s about the amount of lead you will be able to drop. You will be able to drop more depending on the weight of the BP/W setup you decide on. Some have neoprene on the straps, etc, that offset the weight of the BP/W.

Is the buoyancy of regulators typically a spec they show when listing products?

I too am trying to figure out how much of a difference the types of BCD's I have used will make when switching to BP/W as I'm debating between steel and aluminum plates. And the BCD's I used were rentals on vacation so I can't just test them myself.

The one I used and saw in the pictures looks VERY similar to this one, so it might be this exact one.

Aqua Lung Pro BC

But I don't see anything on there about the buoyancy of it as far as how many lbs it needs to become neutral.

ScubaLabs reviews usually rate the inherent buoyancy and my take away is that the last few years most BCDs are neutral or close. I don't see an 8lb saving if your current BC is not that old.

I don't see an 8lb saving if your current BC is not that old.

That was my thought too. The Mares Pure SLS Hybrid BCD has a bit less material & padding compared to most jacket style BCD's.

I looked on Scubalabs but couldn't find any buoyancy spec. Do manufacturers usually have this information if you ask them? Don't see anything on the Mares specs either.

That was my thought too. The Mares Pure SLS Hybrid BCD has a bit less material & padding compared to most jacket style BCD's.

I looked on Scubalabs but couldn't find any buoyancy spec. Do manufacturers usually have this information if you ask them? Don't see anything on the Mares specs either.
Scuba labs gets into bouyancy on the annual Best Of reviews.

ScubaLabs reviews usually rate the inherent buoyancy and my take away is that the last few years most BCDs are neutral or close. I don't see an 8lb saving if your current BC is not that old.
Where are these reviews? I just googled with no luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom