Tips for “Bubblers” - fatigue, headaches and recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problems with the sphenoid sinuses, located behind the eyes, has been know to cause referred pain in the neck.

View attachment 523283

Very interesting! I am quite concerned for Rick because I believe something greater than dehydration is causing his problem and should be checked out.

I get similar headaches firefighting and diving. I obviously get dehydrated in both cases and need to work harder on the issue; strike one. I use a full face mask (Guardian for diving) where tight straps can cause issues. I try not to pull them tight, but sometimes for whatever reason, you have to to keep a good seal; strike two. I sometimes skip breathe; strike three. In firefighting, I'm holding a breath to hear my partner, listen for victims, and listen to the structure. With diving, I'm on comms and I can't understand my tender when inhaling or exhaling. I don't normally hold my breath, but I do when someone is talking to me so I can understand him. The Guardian also breathes hard so I'm putting forth some effort that I don't with a normal reg. Ok, I fouled the last pitch off so I'm still 0-2. Strike three is chronic sinus/allergy trouble. Needless to say, I get a lot of headaches. :(

Does your neck ever bother you on shore?
And/or do you ever get these type of tension headaches during non-diving life?

Do you change your body and/or head position once you reach the safety stop?

Never get tension headaches otherwise. I dive pretty horizontally and try to keep it at the safety stop.

Hi Rick. You live through these so I hate to second guess you but I am with Chilly in that I can not imagine that lack of extra hydration is the primary cause of the headaches and “thumping” does not sound muscular.

With the trigger ascents, any chance this is some type of reverse block?

I’ve had reverse blocks when I’ve dived with a cold. Very different feeling. A reverse block is right behind my eyes in my sinus proper. This it at the base of my skull where the neck muscles terminate into the skull.

Thanks
Rick

Never get tension headaches otherwise. I dive pretty horizontally and try to keep it at the safety stop.

I’ve had reverse blocks when I’ve dived with a cold. Very different feeling. A reverse block is right behind my eyes in my sinus proper. This it at the base of my skull where the neck muscles terminate into the skull.

Thanks
Rick

I'm quite concerned about this. There's something more going on than dehydration.

Are you willing to start your own thread in Dive Medicine subforum? Or we can get the moderators to move the posts regarding your situation over into a new thread?

Back
Top Bottom