Divers vs non divers, is there a happy medium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wife and i, avid divers, love Cozumel and after bragging about it 4 non diver family members would like to go. Past experiences with taking non divers has not been stellar. One couple wants a beach, we would like close to town. All inclusive is not wanted.one couple wants to rent a jeep and explore. Residential has the beach but a long way from town. We love El Cantil but not much of a beach. Is there any middle ground we all may be happy at? We Will be at Blue Angel in 142 hours so pls give us some suggestions. Thanks Bill

What if you stay in town and rent a vehicle and the non divers can drive to one of the beach resorts and spend the day. That way you still have the evenings together to stroll around town.

Wife and i, avid divers, love Cozumel and after bragging about it 4 non diver family members would like to go. Past experiences with taking non divers has not been stellar. One couple wants a beach, we would like close to town. All inclusive is not wanted.one couple wants to rent a jeep and explore. Residential has the beach but a long way from town. We love El Cantil but not much of a beach. Is there any middle ground we all may be happy at? We Will be at Blue Angel in 142 hours so pls give us some suggestions. Thanks Bill

Casa del Mar has worked for me in similar situations. Non-divers have liked the place for what it is. It has that resort feel but isn't as big and/or grand. Quaint. Very nice grounds. It's across the street from the ocean, but has a "behind the seawall" beach with lounge chairs and palapas. That may or may not fit the beach bill. They have an AI option if anyone decided they wanted that. Pool with a swim-up bar. Hot tub. Tennis courts. The restaurant has food that's just fine. I think there's jeep rental right across the street along with the Atlantis Submarine's storefront. Often, tickets on the sub have been included with week or more stays, or something like that. There are two restaurants very close. Paprika is right across the street from the Tikila bar which is right on the ocean. You can order from Paprika if you're at Tikila. Ernesto's Fajita Factory is right across the street from CDM and is also right on the ocean.

It ticks several diver boxes. No charge for pier pick-up. Shore diving. Close to the marina. Lockers on the dock. Looks like a van for 6-8 people is 190 pesos to the square, one way. A taxi for 1-3 is 95 pesos. Divers certainly, anyone really, should have a room with a balcony or patio. Divers will want it for drying neoprene and suits, others will want it as the non-balcony rooms are quite small. The best ocean views (imo) are on the northwest, 3rd floor. The southwest is blocked by trees, overlooks the hotel's central walking traffic areas and CDM is just north of the southern cruise ship piers, so you're seeing ships. It's about a block or so north of the Park Royal and El Cid and a couple blocks or so north of the cruise ship piers. They loom during the day.

As you'll be at Blue Angel soon, you'll know if you don't already whether or not that would work for your group. It sounds like a near fit for you. Blue Angel appears to be in the same taxi zone as Casa del Mar, but it's much closer to town.

after bragging about it 4 non diver family members would like to go.
It's too late to do what you should have done, i.e. "We are avid divers who like to skip the beach and stay in town. You might enjoy Cozumel differently than how we do, but if we go the same week - we could meet for dinner some nights. Just don't stay at an AI."

So shoot for compromises now, and it's too late to warn them.

I go alone and do what I want. I take other trips with my kids, but not to Cozumel. They like cruises while I will not do one.

We love staying in town. We trained our non diving friends who have decided to join us in Cozumel to get in a cab and say “ Buccanos Por favor”. We meet them there after our dives. Works well!

I had a similar problem several years ago & then more recently my wife inherited it. When I ran up against it my in laws wanted to try Coz with us but NEEDED a beach. We all decided on the Grand and none of us were impressed enough to do that again. Eventually they wanted to try Coz again & even though we didn't think they'd be happy there they joined us at Hotel Cozumel. They lost that real beach but gained being close to town & ended up real happy there. Now we have another 4 non divers who've made the same decision (twice now for 3 of them) and will also be doing it again next winter. For the price (we all book it as an IA but it can also be booked as Bed & Breakfast only if that's what you want). You have the big sandy area at the beach club, an easy entry point into the water & a big pool and it's close enough to town to wander in, explore or hit different restaurants and it's reasonably priced. If interested this is my hotel photo tour which includes additional info.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskS8V7Ew

Personally, I'd never take a non diving person to Coz, there just isn't enough else to do IMO. If someone would've talked me into going before I started diving, I'd have been pissed.

I have brought about 15 different people with me over the years to Cozumel and only 1 of them dove. All of the others loved it and have returned and the other 3 have expressed interest in returning as soon as circumstances allow. We usually do condos on the north end so town is close by and a couple of beaches are just to the north in Buccannos or Playa Azul or the little beach just north of Las Brisas. If a beach is a must I would try Playa Azul, nice resort not too busy with an excellent breakfast and still a quick ride to town. Hotel Cozumel is not a bad choice but if the beach is their main draw it may be lacking a bit for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom