Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@taimen: can you tell if you're getting a leak in the glove or at the ring? Where are you wet?

Reactions: Zef
Pull the glove off of the gloveside ring and leak test the glove. Fill it full of water at your kitchen sink, twist the glove opening closed and put some pressure on the waterfilled glove to see if water squirts out anywhere.

Assuming it doesn't, turn the glove inside-out and repeat.

If the glove seems intact, allow it to dry overnight (inside-out) and then remount the glove using the other method (where the ring seals against the OUTSIDE of the glove instead of the inside) and see if that helps.

Also check the SANTI o-rings for debris. Remounting is always a good time to pull the o-rings, wash them, relube them and reinstall them.

Reactions: Zef
@laikabear have your glove stayed dry? I developed a leak again with my santi mounted 720s :(

Mine have been dry so far with the Santi-recommended method of mounting. I love them. If they start to leak I will try the other method, but so far I've been okay.

Mine have been dry so far with the Santi-recommended method of mounting. I love them. If they start to leak I will try the other method, but so far I've been okay.

Have you figured out any tricks? I remember you had problems early on too. I have one glove which has been dry all the time. The leaky one I have re-installed three times now.

Have you figured out any tricks? I remember you had problems early on too. I have one glove which has been dry all the time. The leaky one I have re-installed three times now.

The first glove I installed was dry. The second one leaked, but I did rush the install a bit. I took it off and re-installed and it's been dry since. Do you have another glove? Maybe that glove has a tiny tear? I didn't do anything different from the video, I think that when I had a leak, I just wasn't careful and probably had part of the glove not lined up well or something.

If you haven't already, I'd definitely try a new glove on your leaky one in case it's the glove itself.

Do you have another glove? Maybe that glove has a tiny tear? I didn't do anything different from the video, I think that when I had a leak, I just wasn't careful and probably had part of the glove not lined up well or something.

That is possible. The glove sleeve also deforms quite much after installing it, thus it may not seal as well when re-installing. I just have to order new gloves, as I had a selection ranging from size M to XXL. XXL is what I have to use to be able to use substantial undergloves (I dive really cold).
Did you trim the sawtooth edge before installing?

That is possible. The glove sleeve also deforms quite much after installing it, thus it may not seal as well when re-installing. I just have to order new gloves, as I had a selection ranging from size M to XXL. XXL is what I have to use to be able to use substantial undergloves (I dive really cold).
Did you trim the sawtooth edge before installing?

No, I didn't trim it. I pulled out enough of the glove that the notches in the sawtooth lined up where I wanted, and the protrusions just extended further.

I'm using size M. They were hard to install because I had to stretch them a lot. If I were you, I'd try with the XL, and then wear a thinner underglove on a short dive to test them. If you try another glove and still can't get the one hand dry, then maybe go back to the latex gloves. :( It would be annoying to order another set of XXL and you still can't get the one side dry.

But, if one side works, the other has to. You just have to try again and change one thing every time til you figure it out. After trying the XL 720, I'd try a latex glove again and make sure that doesn't leak. If it does, you have a problem with the ring system not the glove.

And then there's the other mounting method with the jig. I'd try that, too.

Just my thoughts of what I'd do if I were you. Sorry if they sound duh-obvious. :)

Iaikabear sounds spot-on... And it's nice to have her experience with the Santi rings.

Yeah, don't forget, taimen, that the 720s are much warmer than a latex glove. I doubt you'll need thick undergloves with them to achieve the warmth you're looking for.

Yeah, don't forget, taimen, that the 720s are much warmer than a latex glove. I doubt you'll need thick undergloves with them to achieve the warmth you're looking for.

yeah, they are (when the liner is totally dry), but not that much warmer. I have already some experience diving 720s dry. The combination of warmth and dextrity is anyway what I like in 720s. Reliability (of the ring system) is very important safety wise in extreme cold conditions. Santi rings are fine, but with lined gloves they lack some redundancy in seals compared to latex gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom