New from the OKC area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightShade00013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Started training last week and have two training dives in the books. Have always wanted to learn and get into the hobby. What finally kicked it into gear was my wife passing away. We were married for just over ten years and I know that I have to get out of the house or I run the risk of just giving up. She was from Jamaica and emigrated to the US in the 90's. She always wanted to go back to Jamaica and show me around but we never got the chance. I will be however going down to the island in January and am planning to be able to do a few dives while I am there.

I am a geek and like to do a lot of different things. I work on my own vehicles, computers, houses, etc. I am a little busted up so have to take things easy at times. I broke the end up my clavicle and it was misdiagnosed so I dealt with the bone being unable to properly heal for 15 years. Surgery helped some but to be honest I am around 70% useful at best and after doing some things I am busted for a few days. Scuba so far has been one of the few things with minimal issues. I am weightless under the water and the short amount of climbing in or out hasn't been much of an issue. It's also very peaceful under water so it is something that I have thoroughly enjoyed so far. I should have my basic certification within a few weeks and planning for some deep diving at the very least before I get to Jamaica.

May eventually buy some gear but for now a dive computer on my wrist is my only real investment as I don't want to take a ton of stuff to Jamaica and back.

Anyway if there is someone in the area who is interested in a diving buddy I am available with a fairly flexible schedule. I would love to head down towards Ardmore and hit Lake Murray this summer but just finding some friends would be good as well. The more often I can get out of the house for a little while the better right now. The only issue I have is my wife's dog will need to tag along for trips more than 5 or 6 hours.

Welcome to ScubaBoard NightShade00013. Glad you joined the forum.

Welcome! From a former Okie.

Welcome aboard. Sorry for your loss. Scuba is very healing for mind and soul and as you've found, being weightless in the water is a sweet treat when we have physical challenges too.

Welcome from SW Missouri!

DW

howdy and welcome from southeast florida....condolences for your loss ...perhaps the ocean can bring new life to you..

Thanks everyone. I did my final pool dive and exam last night. Instructor said it had been a long time since she saw a 100% on the exam. I will be doing my open water Saturday and Sunday morning.

I am going to try and get deep water and Nitrox done before October as it looks like I have a good opportunity to hit Cozumel for a couple dives right now around the end of October. Next stop would be Grand Cayman but will probably end up doing something other than scuba there as I will be going with a friend and would like one stop to be something we can do together. After that it's a stop in Falmouth and I will be meeting up with my wife's aunt and dropping a few things off with her for my stay in January rather than paying 30 bucks to take it on the plane in another suitcase. Plus the dive cost the line shows as available is way higher than I am willing to pay when I will be staying on the island for a couple weeks and get it for a lot less with someone else including most gear.

It is still hit and miss some days even now just over three and a half months have passed. I am doing my best to keep my head up and keep moving on though.

Hang in there, buddy. You're going to be alright.

Dive as much as you can. It really will help.

Genes Aqua Pro on Tenkiller does boat dives to various places on the lake. Diving can be pretty good. Scuba Bros off of Hefner will do dive nights at their pool. Lake Elmer Thomas is closer and the dam can get close to 100 feet if you like dark and cold. Murray isn't bad, especially if you go on a week day and the dive area hasn't been churned up by classes.

We're diving Sharky's point at Murray for a class tomorrow. I have not been there yet and will post a review on divebuddy.com.

If you're looking for a dive shop, Sharky's in Moore is my favorite.

Good luck,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom