How do you use a Crotch Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good Morning everyone, I’m still a fairly new recreational diver who just bought his first set of gear a month ago. I bought a Dive Rite Tanspac. I am very happy with it, except for the fact that I can’t seem to work to crotch strap, with out it feeling like I’m wearing a thong. I’m also a cyclist so butt is kind of use to taking beating, but not that much. I admit I’m not wearing a wet suit which is probably my first mistake, but I was wandering if anyone out there had some sound crotch strap advice.

Have you adjusted it by having your waist strap running straight, and the crotch strap adjusted so it does sit without pulling the waist strap down?

Not really, but I’ll try that, I’ve honestly been diving without it.
Have you adjusted it by having your waist strap running straight, and the crotch strap adjusted so it does sit without pulling the waist strap down?[/QUOTEn

Yes, take it off and throw it in the dive gear collection bag. Unless you're using a DPV/scooter they aren't necessary.

I'll choose to disagree. They'll tend to ride up, particularly on the surface without a crotch strap.

OP - what kind of strap is it? Is it a 2" wide stiff webbing? If so you can swap it for a 1" or 1.5" strap and or try going with some softer webbing. I wouldn't want to use a 2" stiff strap without a wetsuit.

I'd give the team at dive gear express a holler, they sell the transpac and a range of crotch straps so can probably provide advice on what's going to be easiest.

Another option could be to start diving in a set of tech shorts. Bonus is you get some extra pockets.

I'll choose to disagree. They'll tend to ride up, particularly on the surface without a crotch strap.

OP - what kind of strap is it? Is it a 2" wide stiff webbing? If so you can swap it for a 1" or 1.5" strap and or try going with some softer webbing. I wouldn't want to use a 2" stiff without a wetsuit.

I'd give the team at dive gear express a holler, they sell the transpac and a range of crotch straps so can probably provide advice on what's going to be easiest.
Yeah, it’s probably the 2 inch standard webbing, I’ve haven’t checked for a while, that’s interesting so you say it’s better to go smaller than bigger.

I’ve been looking at possibly buying the apex tech shorts, as well as thinking about diving with my bike shorts underneath them as a solution

OP - what kind of strap is it? Is it a 2" wide stiff webbing? If so you can swap it for a 1" or 1.5" strap and or try going with some softer webbing. I wouldn't want to use a 2" stiff strap without a wetsuit.

Another option could be to start diving in a set of tech shorts. Bonus is you get some extra pockets.
e

My Travel BP/W has a 1" strap. I dive that in both board shorts and tech shorts all the time, never notice it.

My cold water rig has a 2" strap and the few times I've used it in shorts it's been pretty noticeable.

Harness is too loose or too much gas in the wing on the surface. Very few back inflate BCs have a crotch strap. Their purpose is for stabilizing doubles and/or clipping the DPV, mostly cave diving. DiveRite being a more tech/cave diver oriented company, their BCs and packages always come with a crotch strap. It's also just one more thing to unclip to doff your rig should you get entangled.

To each his own though. Just remember when you ask your buddy to reach between your legs to hand you the strap, don't make eye contact and everything will be cool. :wink:

OP, I have a pair of brand new/never used DGX neoprene shorts if you're interested.

Reactions: Dan
If one-piece, I prefer the 1.5" soft webbing crotch strap (I think Dive Rite makes it). Otherwise I would rather have a split crotch strap, specifically the "Scooter Strap" sold by Cave Adventures HERE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom