How do you use a Crotch Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're watching the same video and hearing different things. Lamar literally says it helps stabilise the rig, stops vertical movement, and is preferred by those divers that care about their trim in the water (1:50). He also notes that the 1" existed before DPV's.

We're watching the same video and hearing different things. Lamar literally says it helps stabilise the rig, stops vertical movement, and is preferred by those divers that care about their trim in the water (1:50). He also notes that the 1" existed before DPV's.

Yeah, while specifically mentioning doubles cylinders, sidemount, DPV. I don't want to tell anyone how to dive. If a crotch strap makes you a better diver, great. The OP said he hasn't found it to work well for him diving without exposure protection, no surprise there, and has said he stopped using it and is now here for advice. I'd bet if it never came with the rig we wouldn't be having the conversation about it and all would be well. It could be just an elephant in his room.

Yeah, while specifically mentioning doubles cylinders, sidemount, DPV. I don't want to tell anyone how to dive. If a crotch strap makes you a better diver, great. The OP said he hasn't found it to work well for him diving without exposure protection, no surprise there, and has said he stopped using it and is now here for advice. I'd bet if it never came with the rig we wouldn't be having the conversation about it and all would be well. It could be just an elephant in his room.
I'm just experimenting, what works, what doesn't work ect. I haven't needed the trap so far, but since I'm taking the rescue class soon, I figured I'd try to address all elephants, before hand, the tech shorts seem like a good buy.

I'm just experimenting, what works, what doesn't work ect. I haven't needed the trap so far, but since I'm taking the rescue class soon, I figured I'd try to address all elephants, before hand, the tech shorts seem like a good buy.

Purely with regards to your upcoming rescue course, if it's not currently part of your standard rig, you're probably better off without it as it's one more thing to struggle with whilst de-kitting.

Adding for posterity...

One thing I would note where a crotch strap may really be necessary is with a traditional BP/W single piece harness where there's no adjustment for shoulder straps. Consequently they have to be set looser than an adjustable harness in order to get the rig on.

I don't think it's an issue with the TransPac since there's various clips to make donning the BC easier. On a traditional single piece harness for a BP/W, adding harness slides will allow one to cinch down the shoulder straps with the pull of the waist straps. Resulting in the rig being nice and tight and eliminating the need for a crotch strap.

IMG_0530-600x600.png

The crotch strap was one of the greatest things I added (to a transpack no less) a decade before I started doing anything 'tech'. Started with a 1" webbing. I run mine touching but not pressing. never found it an issue even the few times I dove in just shorts. But a wetsuit does help.

It's just to keep your rig from surfacing without you when vertical. While horosontal, you shouldn't notice it at all.

Before the wrap around poodle jacket BC and cummerbund, BC's had them as standard equipment. A beer gut will make it unnecessary.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom