PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 523417
View attachment 523418

The tubes are almost full of water (20 volume % air when the tube is just relaxing and 10 volume % air when it is under tension by squeezing the top end). So it is loosely filled with water. It's designed to take the expansion stretch when the water freezes and expand into ice (Popsicle). To drink it, I had to use my teeth to tear the end of the seal. So it's pretty stout seal. We'll see next week when I take it down to 100' depth.

If it bursts at depth, we would just lose the drinking water. No big deal.
Thanks - let us know how you make out!

Part number: 15.300.600

Size: 3" x 6"

Internal: 2.5" x 4.875"

Fits ACR Resqlink+.

****Not much room for anything else****

I put in the pressure pot today. Took it for a ride to 150 feet for an hour ===>> Not a drop of moisture. Pretty amazing.

How do you carry this canister?

OK, I've finished my prototype PLB case based on an Underwater Kinetics C8 light housing ...

As near as I can tell without taking a casting, it looks like it should fit a device of up to 2.05+"w x 1.75"w x 6+"d (rectangular prism with a little bit of rounding at the edges). It was done with the expectation of fitting the new-gen ACR ResQLink 400 or 425 PLBs. The older generation ResQLink+ should fit no problem, and the PLB1 will probably fit OK up top as there is a little more width up there and the PLB1 is tapeed

I've only had the chance to get it down to around 40 feet (dry so far on 3 dives in that range) and I'll only be able to test it down to around 85ft in the next couple of months.

That leave me with a few favors to ask ....

Is there anyone localish (greater Delaware valley) that:
- 1) has one of the new generation ACR ResQLink 400 or 425s that would be willing to let me test the fit in the case (test FIT - NOT test dive)?
- 2) has a PLB1 that would be willing to let me test the fit in the case (test FIT - NOT test dive)?
- 3) will be diving (or has the capability of pressure testing) seriously deep and is willing to test-dive the empty case for water-tightness? (the C8 is spec'ed for up to 500ft/150m so I would like to see if it is still sound with my mods)

I you are an ACR dealer with stock in both PLBs and a pressure chamber within a reasonable drive, that would be AWESOME!!!!!!

If this all works out, I will do a build-journal and parts list when I do my final case ...

How do you carry this canister?

Check the pictures and you’ll that the LM canister has a 2” loop installed. I use a ziptie with a SS bolt-snap. Very easy.

Check the pictures and you’ll that the LM canister has a 2” loop installed. I use a ziptie with a SS bolt-snap. Very easy.
Does it come from LM configured with the 2" loop installed with the hose clamps?

Cheers -

So you just clip the bolt snap to one of your BCD D-ring?

If yes, do you secure the latch from getting unlatch due to accidental entanglement?

So you just clip the bolt snap to one of your BCD D-ring?

If yes, do you secure the latch from getting unlatch due to accidental entanglement?

I use a BPW - Installed a ring on both sides of my waist. It gets clipped on the left side.

Do you mean the latch to the lid? If so, there is absolutely ZERO chance of that happening. You need to use two hands to release the latch. Then two hands to release the other. I assume that this canister is the same that they use for the batteries for their lights. It really is over-engineered. I have seldom seen such a beautifully designed and manufactured piece of gear.

Reactions: Dan
I use a BPW - Installed a ring on both sides of my waist. It gets clipped on the left side.

Do you mean the latch to the lid? If so, there is absolutely ZERO chance of that happening. You need to use two hands to release the latch. Then two hands to release the other. I assume that this canister is the same that they use for the batteries for their lights. It really is over-engineered. I have seldom seen such a beautifully designed and manufactured piece of gear.

Since they use the same design as their well proven battery canister design, then it should be a good one to use for your PLB canister.

When I get back Stateside I'll take a picture of how my canister is rigged. It straps to the waist of my harness, but is removable without having to undo the waist strap. This makes it more secure than just clipping off to a d-ring, but you don't have to get undressed to get it out of the water.

I get that they're expensive, but they really are the best solution on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom