How long is your hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE="KWS, post: 8661444, member: 12938"

Now if you would please educate me. why is having a Myflex spare hose in poor taste. It packs a whole lot easier than a stiff rubber hose and is not being over cautious when the discussion is about a decades old hose that is currently being used. [/QUOTE]

Because they're coarse, abrasive and scratchy.........oh and they fail without warning.
My old rubber hose will give me plenty of warning before it fails.

[QUOTE="KWS, post: 8661444, member: 12938"

Now if you would please educate me. why is having a Myflex spare hose in poor taste. It packs a whole lot easier than a stiff rubber hose and is not being over cautious when the discussion is about a decades old hose that is currently being used.

Because they're coarse, abrasive and scratchy.........oh and they fail without warning.
My old rubber hose will give me plenty of warning before it fails.[/QUOTE]

There was a batch that had that problem. As to the rest of the issues you mention is it a trade of of flexibiility vs abrasion. I have used them for years and had no problem. I went to them because the rubber ones were too stiff and gave me jaw fatigue. Each to their own I guess.

The point with out rereading the OP was there was a decades old hose on his reg and what to do about it. Ther are only so many options to consider....
1. change it
2. ignore it
3. have a spare on hand

options 1 and 2 are simple. #3 may not be doable if you cant find a way to take it with you or pack it n your save a dive spares kit. Hense the flex hose option. All my hoses are flex and they stow in the reg case as easily as a 24 inch hose. I find that the texture of the flex covering being somewhat abrasive it is far better than the fricton of the rubber hose not to mention the stiffness inherant to a rubber hose. Each type has its pros and cons and will affect ones diving differently. Our difference in point of views may be akin to the old standard or automatic xmission in a car debate. Even in that debate the automatic is not longer the heavier more energy consuming beast than the standard. Even standards are using oils that are like 5 weight oil and not 90 weight.

Our difference in point of views may be akin to the old standard or automatic xmission in a car debate. Even in that debate the automatic is not longer the heavier more energy consuming beast than the standard. Even standards are using oils that are like 5 weight oil and not 90 weight.

Hah.....I'm driving a manual 2005 Volvo wagon with 10/40 or 20/50. Every year it looks a little lower and sleeker compared to the "new" all-automatic hagons which resemble tricked-out chevy vans from the 70's.

My old rubber hose will give me plenty of warning before it fails.

The point, with out rereading the OP, was that there was a decades old hose on my reg and what to do about it. [/QUOTE]

Hah.....I'm driving a manual 2005 Volvo wagon with 10/40 or 20/50. Every year it looks a little lower and sleeker compared to the "new" all-automatic hagons which resemble tricked-out chevy vans from the 70's.
I was refering to the xmision oil on new trannys vs old ones.

Back
Top Bottom