PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We really need a summary thread, locked without discussion, of the canisters available with details and where to order them - pinned. New options to be added only with approval.

Anyone up to the challenge...??

Here are two ways from DiveRite to mount a canister on a 2" belt. Original version on the left, new version on the right. Easy, fast, secure.
upload_2019-6-10_11-15-25.png

We really need a summary thread, locked without discussion, of the canisters available with details and where to order them - pinned. New options to be added only with approval.

Anyone up to the challenge...??
perhaps, a summary in the first post of this thread instead of a new thread locked . . .

A new thread without discussion is just asking to become outdated.

It can be updated by a Mod or perhaps the original poster. The guidelines can be set.

This thread....
It may be long, but I'm glad I took the time to go through it. Really good info here.
My next SCUBA related purchase will be a PLB and PAB. My thanks to all who took the time to contribute to this thread.
Another validation for me on being a SB supporter. :)

perhaps, a summary in the first post of this thread instead of a new thread locked . . .

IMO I think this would be the way to go.

My next SCUBA related purchase will be a PLB and PAB.
What's a PAB?

I think if you pinned the locked summary at the top of this thread, many will be discouraged by the 90 post and growing. I'm glad you read thru it, but most wouldn't.

When I get back Stateside I'll take a picture of how my canister is rigged. It straps to the waist of my harness, but is removable without having to undo the waist strap. This makes it more secure than just clipping off to a d-ring, but you don't have to get undressed to get it out of the water.

I'm looking forward to seeing your setup (and others if possible).
My xdeep Ghost BP/W has two rear D-rings on it's dual crotch strap. I have my DSMB and line clipped to the right one and was thinking that I would use the left for the PLB canister. I do most of my diving from smaller boats that require a back roll and don't have an issue with the DSMB. I just keep aware of it when moving to sit on the edge and make sure it's not able to get caught on anything.
I'm open to putting on my waist belt, but since I have a pouch/pocket on the right side already (where I plan on including the PAB hopefully if it can fit), it will have to be on the left where I have my shear. I would have to find another easy to reach place for that as I doubt there would be enough space for both since I have the weight pouch installed. I guess I'll see when it comes and see the canister's actual size.

I get that they're expensive, but they really are the best solution on the market.

Based on what I'm seeing so far, it certainly seems the way to go for me.

What's a PAB?
Personal AIS Beacon.
Examples:
Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS
McMurdo Smartfind S10
ACR AISLink MOB
Ocean Signal Rescueme MOB1

Some liveaboards (e.g., Palau Aggressor II, Maldives Aggressor II, Galápagos Master, Spoilsport, Argo, Sea Hunter, Ferox, Amira, Nautilus Explorer, Nautilus Undersea, Nautilus Belle Amie) provide such PABs to their diver guests so if we get lost at sea, they can find us quickly, before we launch the big gun (PLB)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom