Mikron... environmentally sealed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, trust me. I will take care of it and clean it immediately. If I want to dive in murky water, I think I would just buy an alternate reg that would do what the Mikron doesn’t do, like using it in cold water.

Thank you for your knowledge.
Again, coming from a Mikron owner. Given your current plans, save your money for more dive toys. Do not add an extra seal. You do not need it and it adds complexity and likely cost to your services.

Your Mikron owners manual provides general care instructions. There are also plenty of threads on routine care for regulators and other dive gear. The only thing I might add is that sand can collect under the cover of the ambient chamber. On the Mikron you will see a hole in the center. Just make sure you clean/soak this well. You can even purchase a small squirt bottle, fill with water, and use this to gentle irrigate through the opening. It is actually easy to remove the cover and clean out the chamber but then you will need to lean how to reset the IP and its really not necessary.

Again, coming from a Mikron owner. Given your current plans, save your money for more dive toys. Do not add an extra seal. You do not need it and it adds complexity and likely cost to your services.

Your Mikron owners manual provides general care instructions. There are also plenty of threads on routine care for regulators and other dive gear. The only thing I might add is that sand can collect under the cover of the ambient chamber. On the Mikron you will see a hole in the center. Just make sure you clean/soak this well. You can even purchase a small squirt bottle, fill with water, and use this to gentle irrigate through the opening. It is actually easy to remove the cover and clean out the chamber but then you will need to lean how to reset the IP and its really not necessary.

You are all so knowledgeable, it’s crazy!! Thank you for being so patient with me. I truly appreciate it.

Here is where the cold water kit might be a benefit. If you are are the type of individual who doesn't really inspect things, forgets to wash or procrastinate's cleaning your equipment, will be diving murky or dirty water, kinda clumsy and might drop your first stage in dirt or sand.
Here is where I personally feel the cold water kits don't benefit you. "Personally" I feel the first stage doesn't breath as well and I have to play around with IP, often increasing IP to make it breath the same. "Personally" I find it more of a PITA to service and will service it more often because of the added oil. Also I think AquaLung has free parts for life......but can't go over one year service interval, keep each service receipt, and pay for labor. Some shops might charge extra labor if you have a cold water kit.

There is no oil involved in sealing the newer aqualung regs. they are dry sealed like apeks. free parts also is 2 year service interval, odd year inspection now too. your info is a bit outdated at this point.

Oh, trust me. I will take care of it and clean it immediately. If I want to dive in murky water, I think I would just buy an alternate reg that would do what the Mikron doesn’t do, like using it in cold water.

Thank you for your knowledge.
Honestly I think you would be wasting your money and adding more complexity to your Mikron regulator. If you plan on traveling around the world with your purchase I'd recommend you keep it simple. If you ever had an issue abroad most dive shops could service it quickly. If I remember the service manual correctly I think I have all the tools in my save a dive tool box to completely disassemble and reassemble the first stage. I've tried the new Mikron and wow I'm impressed, it's so small and light. My dream warm water travel setup would be Mikron 1st and 2nd, Scubapro Hydros BC w/ Air 2 octo, Sherwater Teric with AI.

There is no oil involved in sealing the newer aqualung regs. they are dry sealed like apeks. free parts also is 2 year service interval, odd year inspection now too. your info is a bit outdated at this point.
Thanks for the updated info. I forgot about the whole industry push to two year service intervals. I seem to forget more things lately.

If I may, I've been diving the Micra's and then Mikrons for years (since the 90's) in sub 50 degree water..........hundreds of dives....zero issues. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom