new diver here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorcher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I got certified about a month ago. I did my classroom and pool work with a dive shop in town and then signed up for referral and did my check out dives on a cruise. I did 2 check out dives in Roatan, one in Belize, and one in Cozumel. It was absolutely amazing and the best experience ever. During my OW dives it finally clicked and I had no trouble with buoyancy. I had a lot of trouble with it in the pool. I just couldn't get it right in the pool.

I am planning on going back to the pool to continue to work on the skills, and then we have a dive planned in Key Lago. I cannot wait. :))))))

Welcome to the club!! I hope your buoyancy always stays great, but I suspect it will be like my snow skiing. The first time I went I was a natural. Didn't fall even once. The second time I fell down every time I stood up! Either way, have fun and stay safe. :)

Good job. The pool is shallower (where buoyancy change is greatest) and is fresh water, IMHO making buoyancy control a little harder. Great place to practice.....

Congrats. The pool is a great place to practice any skills that you want to hone. If you can get neutral and stay that way in three to six feet of water you will be able to do it anywhere.

Diving in the keys is great.

Just keep in mind while doing pool work that your weight will be much different there versus the open waters. So just don't expect the weight you use in the pool (possibly without a wetsuit) to be the same weight you will use when in Key Largo.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...good luck and dive safe.

The pool is shallower (where buoyancy change is greatest) and is fresh water, IMHO making buoyancy control a little harder. Great place to practice.....

How do you know the pool is freshwater and why are you of the opinion that buoyancy is more difficult in freshwater?

How do you know the pool is freshwater and why are you of the opinion that buoyancy is more difficult in freshwater?
Good questions. Of course there are salt water pools. I know of one in FL, but it is not sea water and is artificially salted.
Hard to say why I think buoyancy is more difficult. Perhaps because fresh water is less dense so there may be a little more fine tuning of weighting to be neutral. Just my perception maybe-- I always found buoyancy a little easier in the ocean, even with the other factors (current, tide). It's probably not true, just a feeling. Like many, I found using a steel tank a little better for buoyancy, especially near the end of a dive (I know all about the slightly negative steel vs. 5 pound positive AL80). Not sure if there is mathematical data to support the better buoyancy feeling with steel. In all cases, proper weighting means you'll be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom