Diver missing in Tubbataha Reef in Palawan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan was already at a depth of around 35-40 meters because he was done diving and preparing to ascend

Might mean he went deeper than 35-40m, especially with the deco stop talk, but as the article also said standard operating procedure was to "release his balloon to go up" it's probably just phrasing, and a safety stop.

Fingers crossed he drifted somewhere remote and is happily chewing betel nuts. That'd be a nice ending.

I was in Tubbataha a little over a month ago, and I couldn't help but thinking that it could be me. Not quite rational, I know :(

Some of the people I dived with were assisting with searching effort soon after the alarm being raised, and it's still very worrying for everyone.

The water in Tubbataha was so clear and one really has to watch his / her depth quite closely.

It seems the diving community in the region has been mobilised, and my news feed has seen lots calls and posts urging the coastal villages nearby to watch out for the missing diver, or his gears. Quite heartwarming.

I was in Tubbataha a little over a month ago, and I couldn't help but thinking that it could be me. Not quite rational, I know :(

Some of the people I dived with were assisting with searching effort soon after the alarm being raised, and it's still very worrying for everyone.

The water in Tubbataha was so clear and one really has to watch his / her depth quite closely.

It seems the diving community in the region has been mobilised, and my news feed has seen lots calls and posts urging the coastal villages nearby to watch out for the missing diver, or his gears. Quite heartwarming.

I'll be traveling to Tubbataha next May, how would you describe the currents in general?

I'll be traveling to Tubbataha next May, how would you describe the currents in general?

Similar to many places, it depends on individual dive site. Some sites you'd hardly notice any currents while a few sites you might have to fight the currents. Overall, manageable, I'd say, although you might need to take into account of your experience with currents previously.

To give you an example, there was a girl with less than 20 logged dives (last minute spot filler), and she was able to keep up with us when the group encountered the worst current of the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom