Fish Rock fatality - South West Rocks, New South Wales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The site is known for its 120 meter long cave, but this accident seems to have happened in a chimney.

From ABC Coffs Coast
SCUBA DIVER DIES OFF SOUTH WEST ROCKS

A 54 year old woman has died following a scuba diving incident at Fish Rock.

A report will be prepared for the coroner, but Superintendent Paul Fehon said it's believed the woman suffered a panic attack during the dive off South West Rocks on Sunday.

"She previously completed a number of dives (and) she did hold an advanced diving certificate, but unfortunately, going through this area of what's known as a vertical chimney, she suffered this panic attack we believe and has spat out a regulator."

The woman died in hospital yesterday.

upload_2019-6-12_9-38-38.png

My friends are up diving there the past couple of days, did not even know about this till I told them (I got the news from someone high up in Police). The operators are the ones we use and have been under the same family management/ownership for over 40 years. The operation is by far the best small boat dive operation I have seen anywhere in the world (free and compulsory nitrox, guided by proper and experienced dive masters), great boats). The dive really is pretty easy and has been done without incident by many tens of thousands of divers over the years. Very sad that this has happened.

Very sad news, this is one of my favourite sites in NSW.
Shame she never made it to the bubble cave, she may have been able to overcome her panic in there if that was the case. As Michael stated a very good dive op and in my opinion the most dangerous part of this dive is crossing the bar on the way to the dive site.

Sad news indeed.

It's 5 hours south from where I am and it has been on my list for a while now. I also have only heard good things about the operator and site and would still regard this as a safe dive.

Thoughts go out to the family.

Unfortunately the chimney is too tight to be able to help a panicking diver. Astounding that the cave was found and explored originally by freedivers!

"she did hold an advanced diving certificate, "

If this is accurate, you've got to be kidding me...

Does that mean 'AOW', or Cave certs perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom