Atomic reg performance (vs other Atomic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H
Place a broomstick over a bucket of water and drape the first and second stages over it.
Hey, how about a short section of pool-noodle slit longways with the hose inside the center hole? I'm going to try this as soon as I get my Dad home from the doctor. Thanks for the pique!

Hey, how about a short section of pool-noodle slit longways with the hose inside the center hole?

See:

It’s amazing how complicated a simple task like rinsing an Atomic reg gets on SB ...

LOL :D

Faust caps matter more than seat savers, don’t trust most, Apeks ball is a good one since it seals but allows ringing of most of the sealing surface. I have mostly adopted the thumb over the opening dunk and swish and then dropping the second stage in for a good soak, keeping the first higher.

5" long narrow pool noodle worked fine, if you find yourself in a place with no sticks and lots of pool-noodles. Interestingly, when I disconnected the hose from the 1st stage to check for water and blew into the hose (out of curiosity) there was a fair amount of resistance (until I purged it) as if the seat was just barely backed off of the orifice.

Interestingly, when I disconnected the hose from the 1st stage to check for water and blew into the hose (out of curiosity) there was a fair amount of resistance (until I purged) as if the seat was just barely backed off of the orifice.

Barely backed off is all that's required for the seat saver to function. It's also possible that as you blew into the hose you pressurized it enough to start closing the valve.

The degree to which this matters is highly dependent on the type of diving one does. If you are one of those who never lets anyone "touch" your reg and are willing to follow the prescribed routine then it isn't much of a problem, especially in fresh water. If your style of diving means dive ops and boat crew and others may rinse your gear or mess with it much, then this can become an issue, especially if you dive salt water. I finally gave up on Atomic regs for that reason and I know at least a few people who share my experience that the only regs they have had water intrusion issues with are Atomic and I know a reg tech who has told me he sees far corroded Atomic regs than other brands. That isn't a slam to Atomic, it is just a byproduct of their design, and one that causes issues for some people in some situations. The Atomic regs are very nice, but I can get the same performance from other regs that don't require as much TLC.

In my limited experience, after years of diving in Asia, I have not had a problem rinsing Atomic regs. Nor has my wife. Full disclosure, since I am usually in remote locations in Indonesia, I rarely service our Atomic regs (M1 and B2). Sometimes, I finally get to serving the reg after 200-300 salt water dives and I see little corrosion. I do rinse in fresh water (wearing my kit and wetsuit) after most dives. Between LoB departures, I throughly rinse my regs. As Wookie mentioned, it’s super easy to properly rinse Atomic regs. To me, it’s a non-issue.

What is so bad about fresh water in a first stage? I found one of of my Zeagles had become full of water (in a rinse tank) when I put it on a tank and purged it. Three years later when it developed a small creep, I serviced it and found the inside clean and shiny.

People just blown this out of proportion. In fact, in most case, water is just in the 2nd stage and the LP hose. It isn't easily for water to move that far up. The Seat Saver opening is very tightly. If anyone with atomic 2nd stage and want to experiment, disconnect the LP hose form first stage, and try to breath through the hose. You can barely breath. It is air, water will have harder time get pass that, not to mention travel all the way up to 1 stage.

Looking at this chart here:

Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart

It says that for the Z2 a swivel on the first stage is optional. However I haven't seen anything about it when looking at them on websites to purchase.

Anyone know what that means exactly? I don't think it will matter in my decision in my purchase but I was just wondering about it. I'd think it would be a nice to have if it's not a huge extra cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom