Scuba Gauge Talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So, the wife’s SPG looks to be on its way out (there is water in it), and we’re looking at new gauges. The market has a ton of options, and I am struggling with what I would do if I was shopping for myself.

My thoughts:

1. Pressure gauge with compass and computer… This is my current set up (no analog depth gauge). It’s nice having the computer on my hose but it doesn’t come without its own drawbacks. Examples… Without quick disconnect, you’re forced to look at log / pc info attached to the rest of the regulator… Not a big deal. But the biggest concern is that the computer is hammered by the crew assisting you in and out of the boat as the lift your rig out of the water. I have 2 solutions… I either climb onto the dive boat with my entire rig, or when I have to hand over my gear, I tuck my console into a neoprene pouch I have clipped to my BC. I enter the water with it tucked in as well.

2. Pressure gauge with depth and compass, with a wrist mount dive computer. This is her current setup and my former setup… This pretty much guarantees safety for the dive computer… but you have to strap that PC onto your wrist… That means one extra thing to put on and having to look at two different places for your dive info while you’re down.

Compass: So I’m a bit old school and I still think a compass is somewhat important (despite normally having a guide). I do look at it often to get a feel for our direction, currents, proximity to the boat, etc. So yes, I will steer her towards having her own compass. Do most agree a compass is standard equipment? I could not imagine not having one.

Depth Gauge: Do most of you have an analog depth gauge as a backup to the computer depth gauge?

Analog Pressure Gauge: No need to even discuss, as this is a 100% requirement. If I had an integrated pressure gauge to my pc, I would never fully trust it.

So I am struggling as to get her into a console like mine with analog pressure gauge, compass and computer and she’ll have to protect it with the neoprene pouch or should she get the cheapest 3 gauge analog set up and stay with her wrist mount dive pc…

BTW - the main reason for the neo pouch is because I got sick of replacing the scratched up screen protector plastic glass. Expensive for what it is and requires a 55 min ride to the scuba shop.

What is your current setup and why do you love it or hate it…?

Thanks in Advance

MC

Glass gauges will scratch less.

My setup is wrist PC, wrist compass, analog brass n glass SPG on waist. I use my PC and compass all the time so they need to be easily accessible. SPG is checked much less often so it's out of the way most of the dive. I started with a 3 gauge console and it took all of 1 dive to realize I hated it. I do not have a backup depth gauge.

If you do opt for a brass n glass SPG, know that they are all made by the same company. Any price difference is just paying for branding.

I use a computer on my right wrist. I can view it immediately and on ascent, my left hand is free to dump air as necessary. If for some reason, I dive with a backup computer (multi-day trip or deco dives), it is a little further up on the same arm.

My pressure gauge (brass/glass and not plastic) is on a shorter hose and clipped to my left side so it is out of the way and free from getting caught, damaging the reef, etc. I may look at it just a few times during the dive.

Depending on the dive, I still use a compass. I find it to be helpful and not old school especially on a non-drift, reef dive. It is on my left arm. Again it is there immediately if needed, and I do not have to unclip a gauge to use it. plus, I find it easier to use on my arm rather than a hose.

FWIW, one daughter uses the same set up as me. My other daughter uses the same set up but she has her compass and also a depth gauge attached to a pressure gauge. she still has a computer on her right arm. Both like their set-ups.

Sometimes it is tough to try new configurations without the expense of extra hoses, computer wrist mounts, etc. I'd go with what you feel works best for you. One consideration may be a shorter high pressure hoes that is kept close to your body. Seems like there are some long ones out there. Good luck.

Reading replies, will get back shortly.

Sorry I was not more clear - the plastic is a screen protector that covers the PC screen.

This may not work for you, but I've had good luck with the configuration.

Computer on left wrist, I can see it when I use my inflator and have my right hand free.

SPG snapped to left chest D-ring, I can look down and read it without any other movement.

Compass on a small slate clipped to my right chest D-ring on a retractor.

During the SI the computer and slate go with me, that way I can transfer any needed info from them, and put any new information on my slate for the next dive. The SPG is attached to the D-ring do it doesn't bang around while tanks are changed. My second stages are also clipped off on a D-ring when not in use, which limits abuse.

I don't carry a depth gauge, if the computer pukes, I'm done and head up, made enough ascents without instruments to pull it off, if with a buddy it's a piece of cake.

Cheers

Bob

In you stay with a console, perhaps a clip that can be attached to a shoulder D-ring when your rig is being pulled out of the water would help.

i have not bought it yet (still thinking)but looking at the cobalt ,Sherwood computers or similar .you have digital spg, compass and depth gauge all wrapped up in a nice little package that has the quick connect that can clip to your bc so its easy access and not hanging

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen an analog depth gauge. Just get her a wrist mounted computer with either AI or a separate brass and glass SPG. She can add a compass for her left wrist if she likes and the computer doesn’t have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom