SM Boat diving, Gas switching block

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afmiller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
Got a question in regards to sidemount. I’ve started setting up my gear. Unlike the typical different second stages, I have an Omni swivel gas switching block between both first stages. If I’m using the SM setup on a boat where they are handing me down tanks, or me handing them up tanks, I’m trying to figure out the best way to prevent water from getting in the switching block, while making it easy to hand individual tanks. The one idea that my instructor and I thought of last evening was putting a quick disconnect between the gas block and one of the first stages, but the Omni swivel QD would leave the male side of the QD on the switching block and susceptible to water getting in.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: This is in regards to using a FFM with sidemount

Ditch the gas block will be the common and appropriate answer. It's a solution to nonexistant problems. If you/your instructor insist on such a thing, look into Swagelok QC6 connections. Male on the first stage whips, female on the block.

I think QC6 lets in about 1cc of water every time you plug in.

I made an adapter that connects a garden hose to a male qc6 for flushing everything out after saltwater dives. Seems to work ok.

If you want to eliminate water ingress, use a QC6 which is what I have on my switch block for FFM use.
That said, don't use a switch block for sidemount.

If you’re saying not to use a switch block in sidemount. What is a good alternative so you can use the FFM still?

@PfcAJ correct, spillage and inclusion is 1cc/connection for the QC6

@afmiller you didn't mention FFM use, but the best option is doubles. I try to avoid sidemount off of boats if I can help it at all. I can't imagine a scenario where it's better to use sidemount with my FFM, but to each his own. If you're going to use a FFM, then use the switch block as it's the least bad option, but if you're not using a FFM there is no point in using a switchblock.

o_O, I see that it somehow got deleted from the original post, will be editing it to correct that. But yes, this is in regards to FFM in sidemount

why do you need a FFM? Why do you need sidemount? Why do you need both together?

I’ve being diving with the FFM mask since ‘12 when I got it. I like it due to breathing through my nose, no fogging unlike my normal mask (which I have as a back up), also up here in the NE US, I like where my face as less exposure to the colder water compared to a normal mask. The wife got into diving and likes the com system, which is a newer reason.

As for sidemount, I am starting it. So I get comfortable with it, which will lead to doing TDI advanced Ntriox / deco next summer. I’d rather have the weight lower on my body then having doubles on my back, plus full redundancy where I don’t have to deal with a manifold.

As to why FFM and sidemount. My thoughts are why am I going to just stop using my $700 FFM which I like and meets my current recreational needs. When I need to start using a deco bottle, I will have to switch, but for the time being I don’t.

If you have suggestions / input I’m all ears. I am always trying to learn more

Mmmmmm......QC6’s and a switch block/manifold? That might catch on........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom