Recommendations where to do Open Water course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I'm old school, but your certification dive is best done in the worst locations. Like a murky cold quarry. It's uncomfortable, little scary, makes you anxious, and makes you respect all the training. I've never been paired with a dive buddy who got OW certified in lousy conditions who was flaky.

Do all yout course work locally, and your certification dive at the exotic location. You will be able to enjoy more dive time that way.
Yes this. If you only plan to dive the tropics I disagree with those saying it's best to train somewhere cold, murky and more challenging. There can be different problems in the exotic places. However, if you can find a shop in the UK where you can do the whole course locally--without charging you any extra rent for equipment (tanks, wetsuit, drysuit, etc.--you'll have to own your own fins and mask anyway), then you won't have to spend 2 full vacation days doing course skills in the ocean. You'll already be certified.

Do all yout course work locally, and your certification dive at the exotic location. You will be able to enjoy more dive time that way.

This.

- If you're going with PADI, I would suggest going with a shop that's registered as either a 5 Star shop or resort and/or IDC, as these tend to be indicators of high quality shops.

I hope that was meant to be a joke.

Hi all, Just joined. Im from the UK, and have always promised myself to do the course. I want to do it in a very exotic and saught after resort.

Philippines, Maldives or where do you recommend?

Thanks for your replies :thumb2:

Whilst I would usually recommend taking your OW at 'home', if you are 100% sure you'll only dive in warmer climates there's nothing wrong with completing abroad. However, it's still definitely worth doing the theory and pool work before you go and doing your open water dives as a referral.

What, there are no 4 Star shops?
lol, no. Just that 5 star means absolutely nothing in terms of quality.

lol, no. Just that 5 star means absolutely nothing in terms of quality.
Actually, the 4-5 "5 Star" shops I've experienced seemed to be very good quality. But, my previous post was sarcastic--how can you be a 5 Star shop when there are no lesser Star shops.....

Actually, the 4-5 "5 Star" shops I've experienced seemed to be very good quality. But, my previous post was sarcastic--how can you be a 5 Star shop when there are no lesser Star shops.....
There doesn’t have to be logic behind marketing campaigns

Many thanks for all the recommendations and advice. Im going to have a good read up on everything. I did consider doing the referral, sounds a good idea to me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom