Requesting some wing pics for comparison purposes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purbeast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am still uncertain about the wing that I am going to purchase so I was just wondering if anyone had any comparison pics of some specific wings so I could see what the actual size difference is.

I am primarily looking at the VDH 18, 23, and 35, but also at the DGX S1 (30).

While I plan on pretty much only doing some diving in tropical warm waters on vacation, I've also started to possibly consider doing some freshwater diving near me in driving distance to MD. But it would only be during summer months when the water is "warmer" than it is in the cold, so I think it would just be like maybe 5mm wetsuit, if that. I only have a 3mm right now anyways but I may need thicker for that type of diving.

But again, it's something I'm considering but haven't done yet or don't have any plans. It was also something I initially said no way to, but after doing some dives it could be fun to work on skills and just get wet a bit.

I REALLY don't see myself doing anything like drysuit diving or anything cold, at least not any time soon. So perhaps a heavier lift wing is completely unnecessary. But I don't know.

But because of that, I am not sure if I should just go with a "one size fits all" wing like the DGX or the VDH 35.

And that is kind of why I'm just wondering what the physical sizes look like when compared to eachother.

I saw a large Dive Rite wing in the store the other day, and while I don't know what the model of it was, it was way larger than something I'd like to use, especially if it's something I want to fit into a carry on.

So anyone have any comparison pics? Most of the pics I've seen thus far are just of single wings and it's hard to really get a feel for the sizes. Ideally if people have pics of them on people too that would help.

I have a large upper body with broad shoulders if that matters at all for size.

This is an excellent idea. I hope we can built up a nice gallery of wings for comparison here, instead of having them spread over thousands of threads!

From left to right: VDH 18, HOG 23, DSS 26, DSS 35
Wings.jpg

Left to Right: VDH 18, HOG 23 (previous gen*), VDH 35, Dive Rite Rec EXP (45#), Dive Rite Classic XT (60#)

WingsTop.jpg

WingsSide.jpg

In addition to these 3 single tank wings, I have had a DSS LCD30. I have not gotten the VDH 18 wet yet. Of the other 4, the VDH 35 is my favorite single tank wing that I have used. There is really nothing about the design that I would want to be changed. Offset inflator. Sturdy construction. Very narrow and streamlined. Built-in stabilizer bars. Gives me good trim without special weighting. And, I happen to really like black/red, so I think it has very good, understated looks, too. :)

In addition to these 2 doubles wings, I have or have had: Halcyon Explorer 55, OMS 60, and Oxycheq Vertex Extreme 55. The DR wings are definitely my favorites of all those. They give me good trim without needing a tail weight, and they are donut designs, which I prefer. The OMS gives me good trim, but it's a horseshoe. The Halcyon and Oxycheq both made me foot-light and I needed a tail weight to get good trim. It should be obvious that trim depends entirely on the individual and their tanks, etc.. So, that is not a knock against the Halcyon or Oxycheq in general. Just a knock against them for ME. If dived wet and used Jet fins (i.e. extra negative), the Oxycheq would probably my #1 choice...

* the current HOG23 has the inflator offset to the left and is not as rounded at the top. Also, it looks, to my eye, a bit shorter and wider than this older one. I.e. the one @blake7 posted a picture of.

Is it me or is it really tough to even see the size difference of the VDH 18 and 35, even though one has almost double the lift?

BTW, thanks for these comparison pics!

It's not just you. Inflated, they really don't LOOK that much different. That is the beauty of the Volume equation for a cylinder... LOL

Yeah I honestly probably would have ordered one already, but they are out of stock at VDH site. I contacted them via the "contact us" form on their website on like Sunday to ask them when they will be in stock and haven't received an answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom