GoPro Housing lens cover/protection from being thrown in camera tank on dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have a couple of simple choices:
- do NOT hand off your rig and climb it out of the water (maybe a dumb idea...but some peeps clip their rig off to chest D rings)
- carry a lens port cover with you and replace it on the lens before you hand your rig off to the boat monkey - I do this with my fancy camera wet lens - lens cover gets removed after I hit the water and is replaced before I exit - well most times - as I get older I sometimes forget to replace the lens cover before exit.
- carefully instruct the boat monkeys to just grab the rig and set it down somewhere safe without rinsing it (YMMV).

Reefhound—when you say bungee loops can you clarify or send me a pic?

Bungies- think "oversized hair ties". Simply tie a couple around something that will allow you to stuff a protective cover under them to hold it in place while it's not being used.

Bungies- think "oversized hair ties". Simply tie a couple around something that will allow you to stuff a protective cover under them to hold it in place while it's not being used.
I am confused. My Subsee wet lens has a rubber cover that stays on. No need for hair ties. Can you illustrate?

I am confused. My Subsee wet lens has a rubber cover that stays on. No need for hair ties. Can you illustrate?

I'm peripheral to the subtopic. All I got (and I could be wrong) was that the other member was suggesting a way to store a loose cover on the camera tray. If you don't need to store a protective cover then you don't need bungees.

That's because he isn't using or talking about a Subsee wet lens but a Gopro housing. Not sure where that came from? For the Gopro I suggested a neoprene cover - see earlier link.

Yes--looking for a way to store it on the tray without it getting in the way. Im going to Wally World to check out the hair ties as I think that just might work! Thanks!

As I said, I enter and exit with my camera so have no need to bring the cover and secure it but I made some pics to show better what I meant. if I was actually going to use this I would use two loops and tie a better knot, trim and burn. Test it in a shallow location to fine-tune the tightness of the loop. A hair tie might work as well, just slide it over the handle and down then no worries about a knot coming undone. (If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot.)

1. The tray (disassembled for cleaning between trips), the cover, and a piece of bungee cord
2. Make a loop around the tray somewhere with the bungee cord.
3. Stuff the cover inside the loop.

Attachments

• IMG_2292.JPG
    IMG_2292.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 188
Thanks for the pics! That looks like a great plan and easy to do. Ill get in the pool and test it this weekend.

I clip my GP/tray on me as I enter or exit the boat. One clip and I use 1.3mm monofilament (150# test) and crimps to attach it to my tray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom