GoPro Housing lens cover/protection from being thrown in camera tank on dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normally I clip it with the single double-ender pictured but if rough seas and no bottom I will also use an extendible lanyard as seen in this pic. Sometimes the back ladder can be like a washing machine (i.e. the Fling).

Attachments

• IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 168
Normally I clip it with the single double-ender pictured
That's dangerous. I used to clip my reels that way, but we found that bending it at the right angle can disengage the clip from the hard tray. I've asked my daughter to go get one so I can demonstrate the problem in a video. (I have a broken leg)

A pic of my leader/boltsnap combo on my GoPro tray followed by a quick video on why you should never, ever attach a bolt snap directly to a hard item. My daughter was the videographer, and I can't stand due to my leg, so sorry it's so unprofessional.

7Ei9NJFV5U59xZdRk8U_xiUZLnRCul853nBG2YMs3LQQUh1slX5kNeZX2NLmVCdlwEI1JpngAFgObmNpW=w2408-h1805-no.jpg

Normally I clip it with the single double-ender pictured but if rough seas and no bottom I will also use an extendible lanyard as seen in this pic. Sometimes the back ladder can be like a washing machine (i.e. the Fling).

Always avoid double-enders if one side will always be attached. It's another failure point. My camera tray has marine grade keyrings through holes, on which a single-ender is placed- that single-ender or whatever it's called clips to D rings on each shoulder my BCD when I'm not holding my camera- and since there are two of them, one on each side of the tray, the odds of a disconnect are infinitely small.

Always avoid double-enders if one side will always be attached. It's another failure point. My camera tray has marine grade keyrings through holes, on which a single-ender is placed- that single-ender or whatever it's called clips to D rings on each shoulder my BCD when I'm not holding my camera- and since there are two of them, one on each side of the tray, the odds of a disconnect are infinitely small.

It isn't always attached. I take it off for packing. I take it off on a dive to reach back and bang my tank. But I get the point.

It isn't always attached. I take it off for packing. I take it off on a dive to reach back and bang my tank. But I get the point.

I take my camera apart for travel as well- but the clips stay on the tray.

For tank banging I have a Dive Alert but also a carabiner on a retractor on the lower left side of my BCD. Maybe not such a good idea to have a double-ender with an additional failure point that could result in loss of camera as compared to having a second clip to bang on your tank that is easily removable and is for that sole purpose.

Here's a picture of my camera rig showing how I do it with clips on the bottoms of the light arms where they attach to the tray.
IMG_2713.JPG

They are so easy to clip on and off during a dive, and yes for that same reason are a hazard when penetrating dirty wrecks. I'd never use them other than where they are- in front of each nipple. In order to hook a cable or other piece of a wreck I'd have to bury my chest against it and if it happened it's in a very easy place to reach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom