Aruba & Curacao, cruise ports, dive shop recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We will be on a cruise in a couple of weeks stopping in Aruba (12 hours) and Curacao (8 hours). Want to dive both, but not go through ship excursions. Any recommendations? My husband and I are both experienced divers and our teen kids have done discover/introduction scuba a couple of times (in Grand Cayman). We will bring our equipment. Appreciate your help!

*1 for Bas - that's my recommendation also.

fyi, the Megaport is on the north side of the harbor downtown - so lots of dining/shopping options.
I believe the walk from the cruise port takes you right past Rif Fort/Renaissance Mall also but Bas will get you first.

At Curacao, we have used Ocean Encounters twice, once on a two tank boat dive and once on a two tank shore dive. Both were very good. The shore diving is easy in/out at their resort, and they have a nice beach and restaurant that you can use on your SI. It is an easy cab ride from the cruise port, about 15-20 minutes if I recall correctly. I had my own equipment, but from what I saw, their rental gear was in excellent shape.

Too bad you are in Curacao for only 8 hours. The Dive Bus is highly recommended on here and TripAdvisor but I have not used them just yet. I've been to Curacao 6 times over the past 4 years and have stayed in different locations throughout the island. My favourite diving is on the west coast side and my go to dive shop is GO West. Excellent shore diving and boat diving. However, it is at least a 45 minute drive from Willemsted where the ship will dock. I'd estimate that the Dive Bus is say 10 minutes. I've dived with Ocean Encounters just up the street from the Dive Bus. Shore dive only and it was just ok. The west is the best but may be out of reach for a day diver. Spend some time in Willemstad. My #1 city in the Caribbean. Enjoy.

Dive with Ocean Encounters. We have been diving with them for over 10 years. You can ask to visit the coral nursery and see the restoration projects. The restaurant adjacent to shop is great for SI or after dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom