St. Lawrence River recovery - Ontario, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has the name of the deceased been released yet?

it has not and we kindly ask that it is kept this way until his family and friends and the local police officially declare it. This is not an attempt at trolling or withholding information - simply a means of respect and patience in a very difficult time. Thank you

it has not and we kindly ask that it is kept this way until his family and friends and the local police officially declare it. This is not an attempt at trolling or withholding information - simply a means of respect and patience in a very difficult time. Thank you
I appreciate your sentiments.... I was curious as it seems that posters from several countries seem to have the information, but the local media has been tight lipped with no reporting of the incident since the day of the accident. I've been diving up here for 37 years and live about 1.5 hours drive from Lock 21 and all local sources of information are dry.

There is a friends group sharing current information.The search is still on-going. Please respect the diver's family and loved ones and avoid posting speculation. Nothing has been announced at this time. When more information is known it will be officially announced. We who know the diver in question are reeling, trying to deal with this shock but mostly still hoping. There is a worldwide outpouring of respect and love. Please bear with us

I saw in a related online article that current is much stronger than usual, water levels are very high, and there is a lot of entanglement hazards in the water (tree branches being one thing I remember being mentioned). Authorities are suggesting people not dive around Cornwall, ON.

Please bear with us

Honestly - I don't understand why people keep posting if they want it - "quiet". If I wanted something quiet - ...

I saw in a related online article that current is much stronger than usual, water levels are very high, and there is a lot of entanglement hazards in the water (tree branches being one thing I remember being mentioned). Authorities are suggesting people not dive around Cornwall, ON.

The flooding on the Ottawa River and in Montreal has subsided. The authorities held back the outflow from the Great Lakes into the St. Lawrence to ameliorate the flood damage as the Ottawa also flows into the St. Lawrence. There are some car parks at Marinas in the Kingston/1000 Island area that are still flooded as a result of the hold back, some boat ramps are still unusable due to the high water levels. Lake Ontario peaked last weekend and the authorities have increased the flow into the St. Lawrence to ameliorate this. This means that the current flow in the St. Lawrence is faster than normal spring thaw conditions and there is all sorts of debris being carried along with the higher than normal current speed. The locks/dam near Cornwall are one of the sets of locks used to control the flow....

I see now, they are asking for very advanced divers with experience in the area for help...

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

I understand the person in question dives this area somewhat regularly. As others have mentioned, the current is much stronger than usual, with all sorts of debris in the water. My understanding is that he was diving a rebreather as well, just to add another level of complexity.

They are currently letting close to 375,000 cu. ft. per sec. out at the power plant dam. The current moves proportionately. The location in question is not that far upstream from the discharge. Weather has been lousy with lots of wind and rain. Tough conditions all.

They are currently letting close to 375,000 cu. ft. per sec. out at the power plant dam. The current moves proportionately. The location in question is not that far upstream from the discharge. Weather has been lousy with lots of wind and rain. Tough conditions all.

Would of these discharge rates been accesible to the divers on the day?
Is it typical for divers to review this prior to the dive day?

Back
Top Bottom