When to Use Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a BP/W from a popular manufacturer. I got to dissemble and reassemble the dump valve. On the third dive with this equipment I was making a descent in about 70 feet of cold water. I grabbed the inflator hose to slow my descent and just kept dropping. I could hear HP air from the inflator valve. What I couldn't hear was the now LP air leaving the dump valve. I added air to my dry suit to stop the descent and decided to terminate the dive.

Upon disassembly I found the components of the dump valve to be plenty robust for their intended use. I also found the trigger cable short enough that just lifting the hose was enough to open the dump valve, which explained my issue. I ordered a new, longer hose and valve assembly. The new cable was the correct length for the hose. I reassembled and tested it thoroughly afterward.

I don't use that dump valve for two reasons. I didn't like the BP/W so I got rid of it and bought a Zeagle Ranger instead and I use the other dumps, mostly on my Zeagle Stiletto (older version with two bottom dumps and additional right shoulder dump) since I'm more of a warm water guy now. When shooting photos I find myself in odd positions, sometimes even completely head down, and having multiple spots to get rid of air without changing position back and forth and missing a shot is a good thing.

Upon disassembly I found the components of the dump valve to be plenty robust for their intended use. I also found the trigger cable short enough that just lifting the hose was enough to open the dump valve, which explained my issue.
Yeah, I went the opposite way to shorter hoses and had to make cables. I never liked the way the stainless steel cables rusted a bit, so I went with 1.3mm 150# mono leader material with aluminum crimps. The first time, I made them a tad too short and had to be careful. Very easy to replace, so made them an inch longer and voila! Since then, I've started using the 1.3mm leader to attach small clips to flashlights, SMBs and so forth.

You dodged my question

Have you ever disassembled/serviced a seaquest/aqualung inflator?
I am not interested in purchasing dive gear that is made of parts that resemble paper clips, if you are that is fine.

No sir, I have to admit that I have never dissassembled or serviced my Air2.

Since you have, I assume you are a trained, qualified and/or certified dive equipment technician, as those are the only people who I trust to perform such a task?

I second this. Anyone that has serviced pull dump inflators can vouch for their fragility. The worst I have seen is the aqualung version.

Cressi is even worse!

Since you have, I assume you are a trained, qualified and/or certified dive equipment technician, as those are the only people who I trust to perform such a task?
They aren't that hard to take apart and assemble competently.

They aren't that hard to take apart and assemble competently.

Pete - I am sure for someone who is constantly involved in diving, such as yourself, doing something like this is second nature.

Even though I have been diving for over three decades, I have always relied on professionals to service my gear. I am much more confident in their training and expertise.

Even though I have been diving for over three decades, I have always relied on professionals to service my gear. I am much more confident in their training and expertise.
I've seen pros screw stuff up. Pros built the Titanic: amateurs built the Ark. No one cares about me breathing more than I do. Just saying.

In short, you reach back and found the dump assembly itself which is pretty easy to find. From there you close your thumb and index finger to grab the line as close to the dump body as you can. Again, that should be pretty easy considering it's in the middle of the dump. Since you have it close to the body, you bring the tips of your thumb and index finger in, essentially collapsing the circle that you created in the first place. This pulls the line while pushing the body with your knuckles. This gives you the most control, but also easy to find in thick gloves

This worked great. I think what was throwing me off was not feeling the string. I still can't feel the string with the gloves on, but if I trust it is there it dumps every time. Thanks again for your input.

No sir, I have to admit that I have never dissassembled or serviced my Air2.

It's good that you found a tech that you trust, that can be difficult sometimes. Yes I have various certs/qualifications but they didnt teach me how to maintain equipment. There is only so much you can take in from a short course. Like @The Chairman I am a mechanic, I work on complex hydraulic & pneumatic valves & systems. That experience has taught me infinetly more than any scuba tech course has.
Next time you get your gear serviced ask the tech if you can have a look when it's disassembled so youcan see how the gear is made/assembled. This may give you a different take on it. This thread was fun but it has run it course and I am glad the OP has found what he was looking for.

It's good that you found a tech that you trust, that can be difficult sometimes. Yes I have various certs/qualifications but they didnt teach me how to maintain equipment. There is only so much you can take in from a short course. Like @The Chairman I am a mechanic, I work on complex hydraulic & pneumatic valves & systems. That experience has taught me infinetly more than any scuba tech course has.
Next time you get your gear serviced ask the tech if you can have a look when it's disassembled so youcan see how the gear is made/assembled. This may give you a different take on it. This thread was fun but it has run it course and I am glad the OP has found what he was looking for.

I used to build and drive race cars, but that's not the point here.

What is clear is that there is no conclusive evidence to suggest that this well-engineered, reliable piece of equipment represents a liability to me and the thousands of other divers that use it.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom