Buddy having trouble mask clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novarlynx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good afternoon!

I am taking SSI Open Water Diver with a friend right now. We completed dive #2 last weekend and we're doing #3 this weekend. First off I am having no issues with anything. I am asking a question here for my buddy doing the course with me.

He has a small hole in the roof of his mouth that connects to the nose, right by the right nostril. It's a very small hole, like maybe a millimeter or less in diameter.

We discovered last weekend with mask clearing drills that he couldn't do it because water would leak from his nose into his mouth whenever he'd take the mask off under the surface. He's worried he won't be able to complete the course now.

Anyone got any input on things he may be able to try to make this work? I don't want this to be what stops him from certification, he's been excited to do this for a while and will be understandably very sad.

I suggested he see if he can plug the hole with his tongue temporarily, but he's not sure if that will work.

Thank you!

try exhaling from his nose instead of mouth while preforming this but try in a shallow end of a pool first

I did not know that was a possible malady. Is the nose section of the hole inside or outside of the nostril?

I did not know that was a possible malady. Is the nose section of the hole inside or outside of the nostril?
He says the hole is in his right nostril, about an inch in or so.

He says the hole is in his right nostril, about an inch in or so.
I think he is going to have to work 1 on 1 with his instructor to figure out a good solution; exhaling air through his nose would keep the hole clear until he needs a breath, but then he is going to have water in his mouth. He may be able to exhale partly through the hole instead, perhaps?? Someone else with this issue would doubtless have the best answer, but saving that I expect it will be a training issue to mitigate the issue.

It's not just the mask clearing drill. He has to be able to handle losing a mask during a dive without panicking or drowning. Alternatively he could look at full face masks or diving with a backup mask, but if he can figure out a safe way to dive under a condition of loss of a mask that would be ideal. Experimentation in the pool is in order.

Perhaps something like a mouthguard with palate coverage... I work in dentistry and am trying to think of a way to cover the hole without obstructing the 2nd stage mouthpiece.

A bigger hole would be filled with what's called an obturator. A small hole is a different ballgame. Not serious emoughfor attention in normal life but definitely an issue under water. It may be that a customised mouthpiece with palatal coverage would do (Depends where the hole is exactly) but your friend would need to find a dentist and lab willing to experiment. It would be a fun project, I think.

Sounds like a fistula! Those are sometimes found between the mouth and the maxillary sinus (orantral fistula), where they can develop as a complication of dental problems. What the OP describes sounds like a fistula between the oral cavity and the nasal airway (oronasal fistula, in the middle, next to the sinuses), which could be congenital, associated with a limited form of a cleft palate, or from previous surgery. They are apparently common in dogs!

In any case, normally a diver can keep water out of their nose, with or without a mask, but I suppose that a small amount could come in to the very front of the nose and traverse that fistula.

If it was me, and if I wanted to dive and this was a problem, I would have it fixed rather than relying on a device that could become dislodged and would be potentially annoying to carry in the mouth. This shouldn't be a very big procedure, could be done by an oral surgeon or an ENT doc.

Feel free to PM me if you want a local referral.

Back
Top Bottom