Boogyman Effect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're looking for votes, no I don't get any weird effect whether I'm floating over a reef or a wall or the seemingly bottomless ocean. A shark can get you anywhere, you're no safer in the shallows in fact you might be in even more danger.

If you're looking for votes, no I don't get any weird effect whether I'm floating over a reef or a wall or the seemingly bottomless ocean. A shark can get you anywhere, you're no safer in the shallows in fact you might be in even more danger.

How am I in more danger in the shallows? At least in the shallows I can try and look like a rock on the reef. If I am floating in the deep blue, then I am just a bait ball.

If the viz is like 3 feet and there is any kind of depth below me (like to even 30-40 feet), I get a little uneasy, but usually am familiar with the site and know what's below. A thousand feet (or a lot less than that) in very clear water I think would bother me, though I have never seen such sites. I may get the feeling that I could possibly fall. I don't mind heights at all on land if no possibility of falling (like top of Empire State Bldg., Sears Tower and back then, Twin Towers). But I don't like being on the bottom step of a shaky ladder.

How am I in more danger in the shallows? At least in the shallows I can try and look like a rock on the reef. If I am floating in the deep blue, then I am just a bait ball.

Watch the movie Jaws if you haven't seen it yet.

My mother took me to see it when I was about eight. That movie bugged me, but it's just a movie. I don't see any more danger being in the shallows than being where I can only swim or tread water.

Please do not base your view of reality on Jaws or any other ocean horror film. We are not on their grocery list.

Wait.. you're saying that Jaws and all17 sequels isn't a true depiction of actual shark behavior? What about the movie "Meg" that stars a huge left over prehistoric shark that escapes from the depths and starts eating people and ships? That's not real either??

Next someone will tell me we really do not all exist in the Matrix.

"Next someone will tell me we really do not all exist in the Matrix."

I can neither confirm nor deny this supposition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom