Free diving, tank sharing fatality - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you google for the video of that Russian wassername diving with beluha whales, you may notice her taking swigs from her safety crew's regs. She managed to complete the whole movie without dying from a blown lung even once. Amazing, that.

If you google for the video of that Russian wassername diving with beluha whales, you may notice her taking swigs from her safety crew's regs. She managed to complete the whole movie without dying from a blown lung even once. Amazing, that.

How deep was she?

How deep was she?

What difference does it make? You can blow a lung with 0.3 bar if not less.

The point is that trained freedivers tend to know what they're doing, their main scourge is SWBO, a local freediver says it's probably SWBO -- therefore this guy must have held his breath and bolted to the surface right after breathing from a scuba reg: Internet back seat diving at its finest.

He's described as an experienced diver (I speculate experienced free diver, whether he ever did scuba or not?), and apparently was known/influential enough to get sufficient press attention that his actives with hammerheads (not something I'd expect a newbie to be involved in) were able to generate 'headlines.'

"Experienced free diver" doesn't really mean all that much IMO. Whenever you hear of an "experienced free diver" dying, it's usually because they weren't following the basics of saftey procedure, like diving solo, etc. Perhaps because they believed they didn't have to, because they were experienced. I think one could argue that complacency in freediving is more dangerous than complacency in scuba.

What difference does it make? You can blow a lung with 0.3 bar if not less.

The point is that trained freedivers tend to know what they're doing, their main scourge is SWBO, a local freediver says it's probably SWBO -- therefore this guy must have held his breath and bolted to the surface right after breathing from a scuba reg: Internet back seat diving at its finest.

0.3 bar is at about 9 km altitude above earth surface. Just pulling your leg :) I know you meant 0.3 bar gauge or 1.3 bar absolute or 3m below sea level. I just can’t believe you can blow a lung by bolting from 3m to surface. Any data to support that?

What is SWBO?
Never mind, I figured it out: Shallow Water Black Out.

Lung expansion problem after inhaling compressed air, breath holding and bolting up to the surface sound like a very basic no no that any diver should know. So it is hard for me to believe any diver would do that. It’s like you want to injure yourself. That’s why we are thought to do controlled emergency swimming ascent (CESA).

The lung size of a freediver shrinks with the depth, but as soon as he / she breathes compressed air his / her lung would return to the normal size. That’s why you would CESA to avoid lung over expansion when you are out of air and want to get to the surface.

You're talking about a pretty crappy weekend tabloid paper with circulation of 100k... it doesn't take much to get a "headline" in that paper the day before xmas if it involves sharks.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/sh...counter-with-hammerhead-sharks-ng-b881058971z

The article says:
“He recently worked with Hawaiian conservationists Ocean Ramsey and Juan Oliphant a documentary about shark-finning, which kills millions of sharks each year globally.”

That doesn’t sound like a guy who would bold up to the surface and breath holding after inhaling compressed air.

Free diving & SCUBA diving don't mix. You are either free diving or SCUBA diving.

LOL,,,I agree with you,,,,,,,but the Mermaids don't...:)

weekiMermaid.jpg

I just can’t believe you can blow a lung by bolting from 3m to surface. Any data to support that?
DAN article link below. After all of the explanation of the physics and the physiology, the article concludes with "It is important to note that a breathhold ascent from a depth as shallow as 4 feet of sea water (fsw)/1.2 meters (msw) may be sufficient to tear alveoli sacs, causing lung tear and one of these three ailments"

I believe you will find that statement repeated multiple times in various DAN articles, this is just the 1st one I pulled up.
Scuba Diving Pulmonary Over-Inflation Syndrome — Medical Dive Article — DAN | Divers Alert Network

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom