Coz trip review, Sabor, LU

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick recap of my trip at the end of May. Spent 5 nights at Sabor from May 30-June 3, with three days diving with Living Underwater.

Getting there: Since Delta has scaled back flights in Coz, we ended up doing the bag drag. From Pittsburgh, my two friends and I connected through Detroit (Delta) before arriving in Cancun. Usually we connect through Atlanta and go straight into Coz. I was able to nap on the plane and as the fates would have it, I woke up just as we were flying over Atlanta. Got a private round trip shuttle on Canada transfers (would recommend) before hopping the ferry. The seaweed on the mainland looked atrocious. (I have a friend at the Playacar Palace as I type and she says it is still horrible). Ferry was nice and AC was cranked. Taxi driver tried to take us to El Cid, but apologized and we got to Sabor quickly enough.

Sabor: A budget, family-friendly AI with an amazing beach. I prefer Secrets next door, but my buddies just wanted the cheapest place they could sit on the beach. No big deal, I have been to Sabor before and never had an issue. The place is very scenic. All but the Mexican restaurant are ocean front, two big pools and plenty of open beach chairs. Snorkeling form the shore has plenty to see. From snappers, to Juvenile anglefish, rays, box fish and even a Scorpion fish (much to my shock and quick swim away). However, I will say that I was underwhelmed by the food this stay, yes, even for an AI. While I found something I liked at most meals, neither of my friends were impressed. We didnt go hungry by any stretch, but they both agreed next time they want a better option. The room was comfy, clean and the AC worked great. If you have kids and want AI, Sabor is a solid choice, especially at the right price.

Dive op. Did three days with LU. I have always liked Jeremy's operation. Valet diving with steel 120s. He picked up my gear when I arrived at Sabor and dropped it off the day after my last dive. Very costumer oriented, asked my point blank if I had any concerns or suggestions and about the dive guides and crew. You wont go wrong with Living Underwater.

Diving: Six dives over three days. Dives ranged from 70-88 minutes, and saw plenty of what Cozumel is known for. Punta Sur, Columbia, San Francisco to name a few. Unlimited visibility and coral formations. Very low current on our dives, probably the least I have encountered in Coz, which made is nice for my to try my new action cam. Saw plenty of turtles (including the infamous Columbia turtle), rays, splendid toadfish, snappers, groupers, boxfish, puffers and nurse sharks.

The return: The bag drag was okay on the way down, but not as much fun on the way home. Leaving the hotel at 0920 was different and not great. Though there were no hiccups on the way back, I prefer flying directly into Cozumel.

Overall, another great trip.

sabor.jpg
ray1.JPG
turtleclose.JPG
20180916_162448.JPG

too bad about the food. we stayed at sabor a handful of years back. the food was excellent when we were there. i believe it was sold right after that. sometimes change is not good. loved the beach and it was convenient to be closer to the reefs, but we prefer staying closer to town now. nice review.

My wife and I stayed at the Sabor in October 2014. Your review reiterates our experience as well, from the snorkeling to the dining. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the write up. We're doing the bag drag for the first time in two weeks. I appreciate the info. Would much prefer to fly into Coz but the airfares are crazy expensive right now.

Back
Top Bottom