Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

??? 3 knives..please explain that level of redundancy vice 1 knife in a location that is accessible by either hand.

I've read about 2 cutting tools for solo diving. I guess if one isn't reachable even if it's supposedly within arms reach at all times. Maybe in the event one is dropped? 3 knives is overkill but hey if it makes someone feel more secure then there's nothing wrong with that.

..."too much stuff to mess with" make me think of the divers you see in pictures carrying up to six or more tanks. Is that too much to mess with also?

Those guys are typically doing deep technical dives. They need more back gas plus the deco gas bottles to get home quicker.

I've read about 2 cutting tools for solo diving. I guess if one isn't reachable even if it's supposedly within arms reach at all times. Maybe in the event one is dropped?

When you carry 2 cutting tools remember to put them where you can always get to them. Think if you get entangled and can't move an arm, or can't reach one of your cutters for whatever reason.

Hell I carry 2 cutters EVERY dive.

i wouldn't bother with 3 tanks. get a bigger backgas tank and sling the 30 or go to backmount/sidemount doubles.

the 30 is a bit shorter and less likely to interfere with a thigh pocket, but you can always bungee your smb to your plate instead of the pocket. or sling the 30 on the right side.

This. I stepped up from a 80 to a 100 for my back gas and picked up a 40 to sling on my left side for a redundant air source. That is more than enough gas for anything that I'd want to do solo.

For a pocket to put stuff in...I got a Dive Rite bellows pouch and mounted that on the right side of my waist strap.

In many ways you have to think what a good buddy could do for you. Give you air, cut you free, tow you back help you get in and out and so on. Keep the kit simple. Personally I use a knife fastened on each forearm, you can reach those in most realistic entanglement scenarios, with a decent lanyard to help you from dropping them.

A good buddy is awesome, but very hard to come by. Nor should a buddy be your failsafe or redundancy. Just plan every dive like your a solo diver, and your safety will improve dramatically.

Imagine you and your buddy are both diving a wreck in 80ft of water, in the Atlantic, water is in the mid 70s, and the wreck is 250 ft long, and the hook is tied in near the bow. You both have single AL80s, computer, knife, slate, reel, lift bag and SMB, no pony bottles. Why? Because you have a buddy.

Your 10-15 minutes into your dive and your buddy signals that he’s out of air or you notice a catastrophic equipment failure. At this point do you have enough air to get back to the hook and up the anchor line, and complete a safety stop? Probably not.

Buddies are not redundant, they can get you hurt.

Bottom line is plan every dive as a solo dive, have redundancy, and carry what you need to get yourself out of a jam no matter what, 3 cutting tools, 2 lights, or too much back gas is not excresive. Be your own advocate for your life, because when **** his the fan with or without a buddy, you very well may be on your own. Carry the gear you need, but don’t be a Christmas tree, stow it in pockets and pouches and know where it is.

Since I predominantly dive solo, I always dive a set of doubles, dives deeper than 85ft I include a bailout bottle. Be ready, and have a plan. Read and learn about accidents that kthers have had so you can deal with similar situations when they happen to you, because they will. Buddy or no buddy.

Buddies are not redundant, they can get you hurt.

^This. Entirely too much weight is put on the importance of buddies in scuba diving. Unless it's a known, competent buddy and you are familiar with one another's gear and diving style and have roughly equivalent skills. Generally speaking an insabuddy is going to be more of a liability than an asset. My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom